For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
Lagavullin. Worth the extra. Has a kind of sherry richness to it.

Balvennie and Dalwhinnie are also good, again a little different from your normal malts.

If you like Laphroaig, Talisker has double the smoke plus added tar - I'd suggest finding a bar that sells it to check it out, because it's distinctly a minority tipple!
johnm liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I guess you've seen my current review which I wrote earlier on another thread?

https://forums.flyer.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=1737130#p1737130

Get some in while it's on offer. :D

Tesco currently have Laphroaig 10 on offer for £26.

I'm also half tempted to try this:

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb/groceries/bunnahahain-stiuireadair-islay-single-malt-scotch-whisky-70cl-463%25

Hope it's on the shelf as I wouldn't want to have to ask an assistant for it.
"How do you spell that?"
"Um..."
By Rob P
I was a great fan of Balvenie Founders Reserve, but they pulled it a few years back and replaced it with Doublewood which isn't to my taste.

With the help of a Scotch store in Soho I discovered Glen Garioch which is similar to the original Balvenie. Not easy to find though.

Rob P
I find the standard 10/12 yr old Bowmore, Laphroig, Talisker rather harsh. I much prefer Lagavulin certainly has a strong flavour, but it is smoother than the others.

My favourites at the moment are Caol Ila and Talisker's Port Ruighe. I shall being seeing in 2020 with a dram of Port Ruighe, last night we very much enjoyed a dram or two of Bunnahabhain.

But, if it's a once a year event as an Xmas tipple I wonder if your like of whisky is such that the differences will mean much? :D
Yer all a bunch of drunkards......[ :thumright: :thumright: ]

My SiL and I have a 10 litre oak barrel in our 'mancave' in which we store Johnnie Walker Black Label .

Keeping it in an oak barrel gives it a wonderful extra aroma and taste ...Even cheap old supermarket whisky tastes better apparently when stored in an oak barrel. [hick]

Merry Christmas. :D
By Ridders
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I can thoroughly recommend Highland Park, 18 year. (It’s not mine, it’s Mrs Ridders, but it sure is one of my favourites when I’m allowed to have some!).

Paul Sengupta can tell you about one of my distillers editions Lagavulin bottles that I have here.... it’s quite valuable now, made all the better because it is, quite simply, awesome. :cheers: