For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Chris Martyr
Any of you lot on here seen this film ?

I attended this race as a 12yr old with my dad and was really looking forward to seeing the film .
Having heard positive reports on the film from others , I went along to see it last week .
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and thought it was rubbish !
By Trent772
Why was it rubbish ? too much back story or too much CGI ?
By Chris Martyr
@Trent772

Hey Trent , IMHO , what they had done , is taken a real-life bit of motor racing history and "Hollywooded" it .
The CGI bits of the Le Mans track were totally unconvincing . Maybe they feel it was an American story about mostly American people and nobody would really take much notice if 'somewhere in France' was recreated by computer graphics.
Ironically , the scenes from Riverside Raceway Ca. were really good ,,,and Riverside isn't even there anymore . Not the raceway anyway .

Carroll Shelby and Ken Miles fighting on the grass verge outside Miles' house and the spanner throwing in the paddock at Riverside was pure Hollywood .

As for Henry Ford Jnr and Enzo glaring at each other from the pitstands at Le Mans ? That definitely never took place .
A far better portrayal of the story was the docu./film entitled , 'The 24hr War' which came out a couple of years ago and was dramatic , factual and featured real Le Mans footage from the time .
Trent772 liked this
By Flyingfemme
You would do well to know that the film was actually called “Ford v Ferrari” on release in the USA. I thought it was Ok - entertainment with a bit of true story. There are plenty of docos with real footage and the story is close enough for Hollywood.
By Chris Martyr
Flyingfemme wrote:You would do well to know that the film was actually called “Ford v Ferrari” on release in the USA.

Hey FF , I actually saw the film last week in Merritt Island Fl. ... :D

I guess a movie about 66 lemons probably wouldn't mean much to our American friends though .
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but it was still garbage [IMHO] .
By Chris Martyr
@Flyingfemme :thumright: :thumright: :thumright: :thumright: :thumright:
Big respect there gal ! But I am not partisan in any way towards any of the machinery . My mechanical affilliation finds anything from a Russian Moskvitch to a Shelby Mustang [or Cobra] to a Lamborghini fascinating .

But the U.S. movie industry has been regurgitating non-stop action films with pretty girls and fast cars for longer than most us can remember . It's pure entertainment .

But when they choose to portray an event which was seen as something of a milestone in motor racing history , with characters whose names will live forever in motorsport archives , then why do they find it necessary to insult their memory with film sequences which are simply nothing more than fiction .

Driving his Cobra through an LA suburb and doing wheelspins and 'donuts' like he was a 17yr oik in a Vauxhall Nova , plus the fictional spanner-throwing and fighting in public also insults the dedication and professionalism of both Carroll Shelby and Ken Miles . As for old Enzo , being in the pitstands at Le Mans ? That's enough to make the poor old boy spit his Chianti out and choke on his spaghetti bolognese .

Most of the main players from the real-life drama are either very old , or dead . It's such a pity that Tinseltown couldn't do their memory any more justice than this .
Paul_Sengupta liked this
By Flyingfemme
Actually, I'd rather drive the Ferrari than the Ford any day.........but Mr Shelby was one of life's do-ers and I admire him. As well as Enzo and Colin Chapman. Movies have to be taken for what they are - entertainment. There was a really good feature length doco on Sky(or was it Netflix) last week abut the same subject. Full of original footage and interviews with the characters. Equally good entertainment.
Chris Martyr liked this
By simon32
Friend of friend story
A motorcycle dealer lent out a large bike to a good customer for a trial. After a day he started to get worried, but the customer showed up with a large grin on his face. The dealer looked at the odometer and asked him where he’d been. Lee Manns he replied.
Simon
Flyingfemme liked this
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
One of my very first trips across the channel was to head to Le Mans in 1969 and watch the GT 40s, Porches, Matras and Chevvies battle it out. The noise difference in the middle of the night between the 3.0 litre Matras and 7.0 litre Chevrolets is still with me to this day :shock:
By morticiaskeeper
87 Le Man's was another good year for noise. I did have a stereo recording from Les Hunaudaires during the night.

The jags and Porsches were ok, the Sauber Mercedes shook the earth and the Mazda made your ears bleed. You could hear the Mazda all the way round the track.

Sent from my neocore_E1R1 using Tapatalk
Chris Martyr liked this
By skydriller
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Flyingfemme wrote:Maybe I’m biased since we have a classic Shelby in the garage.

Respect...
But Im still a Porsche guy... 8)