For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Colonel Panic
This ethernet splitter system has been working fine. In the garage end, one side of the splitter went to a CT sensor for the Powerwall and the other side went to an Airport Express (the socket with a circle of dots).

I want to extract the Airport and replace it with a new Unifi 8 port switch and a Unifi AP. But ...

If I plug the ethernet cable from the splitter in to a (non-PoE) socket on the Unifi switch, the port light doesn't illuminate and I am 95% sure no data connection arrives at the switch. But If I use a second ethernet from the Airport Express to the Unifi switch instead, the switch port light comes on and the data arrives.

Question: why might this be? I really do want to remove the Airport, and get rid of this daisy chaining.

TIA
By Colonel Panic
Thanks @stevelup ; when the Switch is connected via the Airport Express, it is showing CONNECTED (100 FDX), whereas all of the other switches just say CONNECTED, which I assume means better/faster.

Most googling shows this 100 FDX issue concerned with access points rather than switches; the Unifi FAQ has "The UAP is physically wired to the network at 100 Mbps in full-duplex mode. This will appear when a UAP is connected but not at the ideal connection rate. FDX stands for Full Duplex. It may appear as 10/100/1000, HDX or FDX."

If I use a new cable between the splitter widget and the switch, the port light does not come on at all. So it looks like the Airport Express is somehow "boosting" the signals within the ethernet cable, despite the proximity of the Switch. :(

By stevelup
Please try what I suggested. Manually set the switch port to 100FDX.

To do this, click the little pencil icon next to the port, then open the 'Profile Overrides' section, and change the drop-down box for 'Link Speed' to 100 Mbps FDX

Like so:-

The issue is you're missing half the wires in your cable, so 1000 is not available and it's probably messing up the auto-negotiation somehow.
By Colonel Panic
I now have a wired and a wireless LAN, along with a wired and wireless VLAN for IoT stuff. Both wireless networks come from the same APs, at the same power. Much of it is now working, albeit a couple of things still need tweaking.

One is how to get my iPhone to join the "normal" wireless LAN in preference to the VLAN wireless network. On macOS you can set the preference order but I can't find a way to do it in iOS.

Because I need to be able to switch between both networks, I don't want to "forget" the IoT wireless VLAN as the password is sufficiently complicated that I can't remember it. Googling hasn't been much help, but Apple state that a WPA2/WPA network will be chosen above a WEP network if they are of the same signal strength.

Would downgrading my IoT wireless VLAN to WEP be a sensible thing to do? Or am I going to regret it. Bear in mind I live in a fairly rural location, with minimal risk of eavesdropping.
By stevelup
Personally, I'd just change the IoT passcode to something less unpleasant...

Are you sure this is an actual problem though - iOS always tends to reconnect to the last known network in my experience.

Another question would be, why do you need to connect your phone to the IoT network in the first place - maybe you can engineer that requirement out of the solution anyway.
Colonel Panic liked this
By Colonel Panic
Until I sort out the LAN <> VLAN firewall rules I still need to switch SSID occasionally - to interact with Sonos for example. But hopefully in a few days that will all be a thing of the past, and I can stay on the LAN wifi 95% of the time.
By Colonel Panic
Raspberry Pis ...

I have several doing different things - Node-RED, Pi-Hole, Homebridge, energy monitoring, etc, but they are all one trick ponies. To what extent does this need to be the case? For example, can I double one up to also run an MQTT broker? Or should I keep them all separate?
By stevelup
There is zero need to have more than one.

The main issue arises if you're relying on pre-configured images rather than installing the services onto a vanilla Pi.

Only thing to watch out for is default ports - for example, you can't have more than one thing listening on 80 / 443 etc. You'll need to tweak things so they're all unique.

Everything you describe below could comfortably run on a single device and it wouldn't even break a sweat.
By Colonel Panic
An update; having installed the Mosquito MQTT broker on an existing RaspberryPi, I have been able to capture real time (updated every 10 seconds) solar PV generation from my energy monitoring system, share the data via MQTT to Node-RED which in turn switches on a smart plug when I am exporting >50 watts. This will power a mains powered 12v battery charger that will keep a classic car storage bubble inflated FOC for much of the year. When the pv is exporting <50 watts the plug will switch off and the battery charging will stop.

All I now need to do is work out a way of automating a "the 12v battery is nearly empty, please re-charge" message :shock:

All a hugely complicated way of powering something, but most satisfying when it all comes together.
mmcp42 liked this
By Colonel Panic
Unifi Controller Alarm :shock:

I have just changed the SSID on a TP-Link power line adapter to be the same as my main (Unifi) WLAN - in theory to make it easier to set up and move Tuya-type smart plugs between the house and a barn where the TP-Link slave unit is located. Within a couple of minutes I got a raft of automated Alarm emails. Is this a problem? I can imagine that the Unifi USG might have taken umbrage to being gate crashed ... :oops: