For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Some of the TRV systems use a 'Bridge' which, as I understand it, is just a small router like device which gives the Home Automation a network on a different frequency than the Wifi.

Clearly if one has concrete walls then the same issue arises as one can have with Wifi - i.e. signal degradation and the need for 'repeaters' are there systems which hook up to Wifi without needing one of these bridges?

If not how can one extend the network of bridges, the example I have seen suggests that the bridge goes into a router.

Looking forwards to reading people's experience.

Xiaomi, of the recently featured hoover, does some other essentials such as sensors and plug sockets but not TRVs as far as I can see, so I suspect one cannot have something on just one app.
By stevelup
Colonel Panic wrote:Ubiquiti Dream Machine

... is just their commercial stuff packaged in a 'consumer' friendly format and shoved in a single box.

You don't need to go there... You've already got a decent router, and you easily have the technical capability of using the 'proper' UniFi stuff.
By rikur_
Colonel Panic wrote:The fields are Name (I chose emonpi.local)...

Ah, ok ...... doesn't really matter what the name is. I thought it might be hostname or something like that.
Colonel Panic liked this
By Colonel Panic
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:Some of the TRV systems use a 'Bridge' which, as I understand it, is just a small router like device which gives the Home Automation a network on a different frequency than the Wifi.

Hue bulbs are / were the same (most of the "smart" functionality still requires a Hue bridge AIUI), and Sonos used to need one too for multi room stuff. But TBH I don't know how it (the Hue bridge) works.
By Colonel Panic
With Zigbee being a "standard", can non-Hue Zigbee compliant widgets use Hue bulbs to help get from one end of the house to the other? Or are all Zigbee mesh networks exclusive to each manufacturer's widgets?
By stevelup
For thermostatic radiator valves, they want to be able to run for a year at a time on a couple of AA batteries. Just not possible on WiFi which is why they use alternative protocols.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By stevelup
WiFi twitters on constantly at relatively high power levels, and high bit rates.

The other protocols just broadcast tiny fragments of data at wide intervals and at low bit rates and low power levels. This uses a fraction of the power.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By Colonel Panic
Do "powerline adapters" need to be on the same circuit ie same fuse / trip switch, on the same Consumer Unit or the same Mains IN / meter?

I have just set a pair up to try to get wifi up at the top of the drive (via an existing automated gate electric control box), but it isn't working. Not helped by the longish distance (~150 metres), and they are not on the same trip switch - but are on the same Consumer Unit.

Fitting a new 13A socket by the CU is easy, but won't bother if the distance will mean it work won't anyway.

Data usage will be very light, and speeds not really an issue; just occasional MQTT packets or similar.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By rikur_
Colonel Panic wrote:Do "powerline adapters" need to be on the same circuit ie same fuse / trip switch, on the same Consumer Unit or the same Mains IN / meter?

They don't need to be - albeit it just adds one more thing to slightly degrade it.

In our holiday home I've got the 'master' powerline adapter on one ring, another in the garage on a ~ 25m connection. Works fine. I seem to recall our adapters saying 200m maximum range.

(They do need to be on the same phase though if you're into the realms of 3 phase)