For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Colonel Panic
Ugh.

Unifi Switch > PoE Injector > LocoM2 base station: All ethernet cables checked (OK) & replaced anyway. Lights are on on the rear of the M2 base station BUT Switch shows port as black / Disconnected.

Unifi LocoM2 remote station > PoE injector > Airport Express. All ethernet cables checked & OK. Lights are on on the rear of the M2 remote station BUT Airport Express flashing orange & no connectivity.

I hesitate to want to press the reset button(s) on the LocoM2s as that could mean removing them from up poles & setting them up again from scratch. Connectivity had been getting a bit flakey over the past several days, but now it is rock solid not working.

What else to check / try? I have swapped out the Airport Express with another, but as soon was I take it up to the top of the drive no network access is available. I have tried a different port on the Switch - both PoE and unpowered, but no difference. I've even taken a long handled chainsaw out to lop off some branches mid way just in case they were getting in the way.
By stevelup
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Issue 2 is almost certainly being caused by issue 1 so don't bother fiddling with anything at the remote end.

Issue 1 - try setting the switch port manually to 100FDX like you did when you were using the port saver thing.

Try a different PoE injector

Don't reset the Loco M2s - nothing good can come of that.
Colonel Panic liked this
By Colonel Panic
I had tried a new PoE injector (the correct model), but that didn't help. Have just set 100FDX, but again, no joy. I'll send Unifi Support a message to see if they have any suggestions ...
By Colonel Panic
I have a micro SD card with Home Assistant on it - written via Etcher on a Mac, and when plugged in to a RPi Home Assistant works fine via ethernet & appears in the Unifi CP etc; I wasn't able to add wpa wifi details or an ssh file when the card was initially written to because, like now, when I put it in to my Mac it says "The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer. Initialise/Ignore/Eject". Same on laptop and desktop.

I tried to access it via Terminal, but it wouldn't work - presumably due to the lack of the ssh file - nor can I get FileZilla to work. I really don't want to re-format the card - but how else can I access the file structure etc?

TIA
By Colonel Panic
Thanks - I will look to install that.

Quick question: to what extent does extending a Cat5e cable by a metre or two impact performance (in a domestic network environment)? Does it make any difference whether I use the "RJ45-to-RJ45" inline type joiners or the more fixed "punchdown" Krone couplers?
By stevelup
Six of one, half a dozen of another. If this is truly fixed and never going to be disturbed again, I'd go for the Krone punch downs. If you ever might want to disconnect it, even just once, then go for RJ45s and a coupler.

The latter also gives you a convenient test point, or a breakout point for future expansion. You could whack a switch there for example and run some other services.
Colonel Panic liked this
By stevelup
At 100Mbps? Nil if you do it right :)

Gigabit? Well, it's a bit fussier and you really shouldn't be joining it. But in practice it will be fine. I'd be amazed if you had a problem - especially if you're not already stretching the limits in terms of cable length.
Colonel Panic liked this
By Colonel Panic
My Unifi cloud hosted controller has gone AWOL five times over the past two weeks, and has required a remote reset each time by BBBuyer. They are unfailingly helpful, but being without access to my USG all bank holiday weekend was a pain. Today they have said:

"We have done some further investigation as to why the controller is having these issues and we have found that the controller is sporadically creating gigabytes worth of .dmp files which are overwhelming the controller causing it to fail. It looks to be a stat-related issue but it is difficult to determine at this point of time without further investigation.

For the meantime, we can look to migrate your sites/devices across to an alternative controller that is confirmed as stable while we investigate and test further on [your account].
"

Might that something I am doing wrong? :oops:
By Colonel Panic
They have done that, but now I find myself locked out and seem to have disappeared down a black hole. When I type the url in I get this error message - something I have not come across until today.

I have turned Pi-Hole off, & my domain host says it isn't them (unsurprisingly, but worth checking). Would it be something else I need to change at my end, or is it an ISP issue, ie PlusNet?

BBBuyer asked "If you cannot reach the webpage at all then it might be subject to some sort of filtering like Cisco Umbrella you mentioned. Are you able to check if it is being blocked?", but not sure how or where, and they are now off for the weekend ...