For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Colonel Panic
I have a set/pair of TP-Link AV600 Powerline adapters running between two barns on the same mains. The resulting SSID works fine when I connect an Amazon Echo &/or an iPhone, but for the life of me I can't get a ShellyMotion to connect (but it does connect to my "main" wifi network). It is running the latest FW.

The ShellyMotion is 2.4GHz only, but the TP-Link is set to Auto(Current channel 11), and is, AFAIAA not 5GHz capable anyway.

Am I missing something else that is obvious to anyone else? :oops:

By Colonel Panic
Looks like it is a TP-Link issue after all; I have just set up an Apple Airport Express using the same SSID & password, and the ShellyMotion connects fine.

That is many hours of my life I won't get back, and re-affirms my hatred of sh1tty Powerline widgets...
By Colonel Panic
I spent this morning digging a 6 metre trench between the two barns and I now have an ethernet cable within a 20mm poly pipe, so have done away with the Powerline widgets and used an old Airport Express instead.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By rikur_
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Colonel Panic wrote:I spent this morning digging a 6 metre trench between the two barns and I now have an ethernet cable within a 20mm poly pipe, so have done away with the Powerline widgets and used an old Airport Express instead.

Proper solution! (albeit I prefer 40mm alkathene for future expansion capability!)
Colonel Panic liked this
By Colonel Panic
Going back to intercepting the RF data stream from my oil tank level sensor, all is working fine except the timestamp didn't change when the clocks changed last weekend.

* The RPi that intercepts the RF is set to & is reporting the correct (BST) timezone (date within Terminal / ssh); this then sends the data stream to my MQTT broker
    * The RPi that acts as my MQTT broker is ditto (looking within the control panel)
    * The json timestamp is being correctly interpreted (ie is BST) (checked by me converting the json timestamp in an online converter tool); this then sends the MQTT data to my NUC
    * The NUC that runs my Home Assistant is set to & reporting the correct (BST) timezone (date within the built in Terminal)
However, when the MQTT data is displayed within my HA dashboard, the timestamp is being shown in UTC. But for the life of me I can't work out where this is going wrong. Any ideas? TIA

FWIW, my HA config.json file includes

Code: Select all- platform: mqtt
    name: "Last Time Stamp"
    state_topic: "home/rtl_433"
    value_template: "{{ (value_json.time) }}"
By Colonel Panic
Local IP addresses

My Home Assistant is running on a NUC, and I routinely access it from inside and outside my LAN via a duckdns address. That all works fine. The NUC is at 192.168.2.120:8123 and yet if I type that into a browser it fails (Safari can't connect to the server 192.168.2.120). I am also running Portainer on the NUC (same IP, different port number), and that fails too.

Why might this be? I _used_ to be able to use these addresses, but something is now not letting me. :?
By Colonel Panic
Everything on my LAN is 192.168.2.xxx (I have still not managed to work out VLANs), and almost everything has a static IP as given out my USG. But in this instance, my iMac is 192.168.2.30 (via ethernet, as is the NUC)

I can ping 192.168.2.120 using Terminal fine. Within the HA "dashboard", it says it is on 192.168.2.120/24
By Colonel Panic
MQTT messages

A while ago MQTT messages stopped being generated by a RPi set up to monitor my oil tank contents. AIUI, a shell script called `jjbwatchman.sh` created the MQTT output; but it no longer seems to be doing so.

Question: What code can I run on the RPi to "watch" what (if any) MQTT messages are being generated?

TIA

Code: Select all#!/bin/bash -x
export PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/local/games:/usr/games
sleep 20
rtl_433 -F json -M utc -R 43 | mosquitto_pub -t home/rtl_433 -l -h 192.168.2.50 -p 1883 -u USERNAME -P PASSWORD
By stevelup
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
tcpdump will show you what if anything is being sent

Personally, first thing I would do is kill the processes (rtl_433 and mosquitto_pub) and then run that command (the last bit of your script) from the command line and see if any errors are being thrown.
Colonel Panic liked this