For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Colonel Panic
Looks good; have to say that I am enjoying the unified control panel within the Unifi ecosystem, so would prefer to keep using their stuff for now. (The only "shame" is that the AixMax point to point stuff falls outside of the dashboard)

When the 3 year free cloud hosting expires I can see it would be better for me to get a physical Cloud Key though - if BBB want (say) £10 per unit per year that could get quite dear ...
By Colonel Panic
Question about json syntax (/parsing?).

A url with my details in returns the following real time data about my solar panels:

A "Magic Mirror" module shows an example of the config that it requires to display this data, but I am not sure how to manipulate the raw data to get it to work:

Code: Select all{
   module: 'MMM-JsonTable',
   position: 'top_right',
   header: 'HouseDB Sevensegment',
   config: {
      url: 'https://xyz/abc/get.json', // Required
      arrayName: 'items' // Optional
   }
}

Is it just a matter of getting the syntax right (& if so what form might that be?), or do I have to run it through Node-RED or similar first?

TIA
By Colonel Panic
Calling all electricians ...

I would like to swap out an old mechanic solar time clock controlling two outside lights with a Shelly1, but I do find the Shelly wiring confusing. Can anyone help?

The time clock has 4 wires (1, 2 & 3, (and an earth for the clock itself only which I am assuming can be ignored going forward.))

Would it be correct to connect ...

Shelly N > N2
Shelly L > L1
Shelly SW > Shelly L
Shelly I > nothing
Shelly O > L3

If it matters, there is a wall switch by the back door which can turn the lights on at any time (but can't turn them off if the time clock has triggered them to be on)

TIA

By stevelup
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Neutral to N on the Shelly and to your load

Live to L and I on the Shelly

O is then the output to your load.

If you want to retain a local physical switch, connect it between SW and L - this will then behave properly (i.e., you can use it to change the state of the lights at any time, but still the Shelly will be able to then turn them on and off)
By Colonel Panic
Brilliant - many thanks, that works perfectly. The over-ride switch by the door stills turns the lights on as before; sadly not all of the wires to the outside lights go near to the switch, so will leave that bit for next time.

These Shelly widgets are great - giving far more granular control than a mechanical solar time clock set to 52degs N 8)
By stevelup
Wherever that light switch is wired back to, you could move the Shelly to there and just bypass your original time switch.

That way, you can utilise the switch in a more intelligent manner.
By Colonel Panic
stevelup wrote:Your XML is not returning an array, thus it's not a suitable source for MMM-JsonTable which expects one. What you need is something that isn't expecting an array.

Many thanks; looking at the inverter's API document (page 6 here) it would appear that I can receive the data in json format by adding ...&format=application/json on to the end of my url

The url I am using is https://monitoringapi.solaredge.com/%20 ... 1AEJPZSXCV (which includes my API - so I will generate a new one in a day or two for security.) But adding ...&format=application/json or probably more correctly just &format=application/json on to the end of my url doesn't change the output from XML to json. Have I misunderstood their instructions?

Or am I flogging a dead horse here? :oops:
By Colonel Panic
SD card formatting (& readability)

I have a microSD card that is formatted (Disk Utility) as FAT32, on to which I have burned an image (Home Assistant) via Etcher. All good so far.

I want to add a couple of files (ssh & a wifi-network file) before putting it in to a Raspberry Pi. But as soon as the burned image in on the card, even if I eject it and re-insert it in to my iMac, the card is "not readable". I know the card is fine, and I know the image has been created properly as this is the second or third attempt at the same thing, and previous burns have worked fine for ethernet, but not for wifi.

Question: Why can't I read the SD card _before_ putting it in the Pi, and how can I get around this readability issue?

NB: A workaround is to put the wifi file on a USB dongle, but that doesn't help with making the Pi ssh'able ...

TIA
By stevelup
The fact that you formatted it FAT32 is not relevant - Etcher blats over that anyway.

There's something weird about the image you have burned - most Pi images have at least one FAT formatted partition on there which is where the configuration stuff is kept for exactly this reason (so stuff can be edited on Mac / PC).

It seems that this one doesn't. What is it?