For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
Sir Morley Steven wrote:...my point is about the royal family not being above the law.

....except the Queen, of course.

We may not be but lots of people (the public) *are* interested in the Royal Family, even though this is not really about the Royal Family or even really Prince Andrew. It should be about the victims of a sexual predator (Epstein was such a man having served a prison sentence and at the time of his death awaiting trial for more serious offences.)

I guess it's all exploded since he died as the trial was dropped leaving the victims with fewer opportunities for justice/closure.

Why Andrew thought it was wise to become involved with that circle is a moot point, although he'd known Epstein's girlfriend (daughter of the late Robert Maxwell) since they were at university.

He's now paying for those poor decisions and the poor decisions he made about his conduct during "the interview"

Blog here

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2019/11/p ... tal-error/
Firstly, I've not watched, nor intend to watch the interview, so don't necessarily apply my comments to this specific case.

Whilst the Royal family should not be above the law, neither should they be subjected to harrassment and trial by the media. If he has committed a crime it should be dealt with accordingly.

Epstein clearly was a nasty piece of work, and by committing suicide he has deprived a lot of people of "closure". The real meaning of which is the satisfaction of a witch hunt and a nice little earner. In reality, he saved the world from having to endure the witch hunt.

But the hunt moves on to whatever other recognisable idiot happens to be in the grainy 20 year images. Lets ignore the fixers, pushers and pimps that facilitate the party, we've got someone famous! Kerrching.
flybymike, kanga liked this
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Shirley if you want to go on an aviation forum and make a comment along with others about a particularly contentious programme, the first meaningful pre-requisite would be to have seen the programme first hand in its entirety?

Peter :wink:
PaulB liked this
PaulB wrote:
chevvron wrote:
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:She was over 16.
No case to answer.

Age of consent in the States is 18.

*One* of the offences (another allegedly occurred in New York). That said, JoeC's comment is relevant.

I certainly haven't heard of that allegation but then I couldn't be bothered to watch the interview (I think it was 'Barnwood Builders' or something equally more interesting on Ch 37); was it mentioned there?
Rob P liked this
As with many things in the USA, consent laws are a dog’s breakfast. Individual states vary between 16, 17 and 18 with a plethora of “allowable” cases that are unlikely to be prosecuted based on legal marriage elsewhere, relationships, age gaps and “Romeo and Juliet” clauses. Trafficking can be as simple as a couple taking a holiday in the “wrong” state and inadvertently breaking a law. Prince Andrew has been a pillock and the conduct of his friends is reprehensible and arrogant. What we really need is an environment where young women are encouraged to have more self belief and not fall back on richer men to get the better things in life. And we need women to support this attitude. It’s always been about power - and always will.
eltonioni, Sooty25, skydriller and 2 others liked this
By flybymike
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Does anyone actually believe Epstein committed suicide? I would imagine Andrew would have multiple reasons for lying low for a bit!

How mysterious.

Do you believe he didn’t commit suicide? and if so. how did he really die, and why would Andrew have to lie low as a result of the “real“ reason for his death?
kanga liked this
Large amount of conspiracy theory on the net that Epstein did not commit suicide but was killed by a circle of extremely rich (and therefore powerful) people who had too much to lose if he started telling tales. Lots of fuel for that view (claimed, but I have no way of checking) eg. that the security cameras all failed at the same moment, and that a pathologist's report says the fractures in his neck could not have been caused by hanging himself and needed an external third party. Etc etc etc. Standard tinfoil-hat brigade stuff. But one day the THB will be right!

And if they are, anyone popping up in front of the FBI probably ought to be paying his food-taster a little extra.