For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Has anybody on here been, or know anyone who has been, done for speeding on the burgeoning temporary average speed check camera systems usually set up on long term road works like the one around Cambridge on the A14?

I think they’re fake !

Peter
By johnm
The idea of accelerating and then braking on roads with speed bumps is a bit bonkers to my mind. They are there to try and enforce a constant low speed, so I drive at a steady speed just below the limit and ride over them quite happily, so they don't affect my fuel consumption significantly. Ditto gantries set cruise control just above the indicated speed on the GPS works fine so I'm doing about 62 or 52 etc. and haven't yet seen a camera flash and don't need to change lanes very much apart from letting some nutter past :twisted: .
johnm wrote:...so I drive at a steady speed just below the limit and ride over them quite happily...

They must be gentle bumps down your way. :D

Like @PeteSpencer I often wonder if they are fake more than genuine. The number of drivers apparently oblivious to average speed cameras causes me to wonder if they know something I don't. The odd one day dreaming I can understand, but when it's maybe 1 in 10 flying past I wonder.
johnm wrote:The idea of accelerating and then braking on roads with speed bumps is a bit bonkers to my mind. They are there to try and enforce a constant low speed, so I drive at a steady speed just below the limit and ride over them quite happily, so they don't affect my fuel consumption significantly. Ditto gantries set cruise control just above the indicated speed on the GPS works fine so I'm doing about 62 or 52 etc. and haven't yet seen a camera flash and don't need to change lanes very much apart from letting some nutter past :twisted: .

The speed bumps round here seem wrong then. In a 30 zone, anything over 20 is risky to your suspension. Unless you’re in a Transit van who can straddle them easily and dash along regardless.
By VRB_20kt
Just occasionally I've been overtaken by someone doing *well* over the limit in an average speed trap. I wondered whether they knew something I didn't.

Mind you, most times I'm held up by someone whose cruise control is a tad slower than mine (or the inevitable crowd who stick to 48mph on their speedo).

Around here they've just introduced 20mph zones for *everywhere* that isn't an "A" road. Miles of it. TBH it requires a lot of concentration to focus on the road ahead. I can believe that there will be an increase in accident numbers but fewer injuries.

Sent from my K6000 Pro using Tapatalk
The issue with speed bumps is that there appears to be no national or local standards, the lengths, widths and heights seem to vary considerably, as does the rake of the ramps at either end. Even the way they are marked varies widely, some have markings on the ramp making them very visible but other are unmarked, which can make them difficult to see in low lighting conditions. Some you can ride over at or near the speed limit, other cause a major jolt to the car at anything above walking pace. It is no wonder that vehicle suspension and tyres take beating on urban roads.
They finally came down last month - but new figures have revealed the staggering number of drivers caught by the Silverlink roadworks speed cameras over two and a half years.

The average speed cameras were put in place in December 2016 as part of a £75m Highways England project to build a triple-decker roundabout near the Silverlink junction.

Motorists on stretches of the A19 and the A1058 Coast Road were restricted to 30mph in a bid to keep workers on site safe.

Now a Freedom of Information request to Northumbria Police has revealed that the cameras caught 14,216 drivers speeding between December 2016 and May 2019.

I think this may answer Peter's question.

Rob P

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/no ... t-16484614
By cotterpot
Miscellaneous wrote:Interesting, why would they do that rather than monitor it between consecutive cameras? :?

I think in one case it is to deal with junctions in the road being monitored. You may be able to join the road between cameras. I am sure there may be other reasons too.
By Paul_Sengupta
johnm wrote:Which as an advanced driver I will do whenever the opportunity is there, I.e a gap in the traffic to my left. :twisted:

As an advanced driver, you'll also notice you have a pedal under your right foot which will take you to the gap quicker...

There should be two golden rules for motorway driving. 1) Keep left, and 2) Don't hold anyone up. Ever!

riverrock wrote:ICE cars are normally most efficient between 55 and 65 mph so that makes sense.

It shouldn't be. The most efficient speed should be somewhere under 40mph, but it relies on a clear road with no hills and driving consistently. Back in the 1980s when the Montego turbo diesel came out with direct injection they did an MPG test with it. They had it on a test track, and at a steady 31mph, it did over 100mpg. At 56mph it did 60mpg. The laws of physics are the laws of physics, and air resistance starts building up more noticeably above 40mph, and the curve gets steeper the faster you drive.

There may be various efficiencies or inefficiencies of the engine at different RPMs which affect the figures a little but the above should hold true.

Regarding speed bumps, I agree, they're bonkers. With whole motorway and dual carriageway sections now being reduced to 50mph in order to reduce local emissions for the residents living next to the road, having speed bumps on a residential street which cause cars to slow down and accelerate, thus greatly increasing the local emissions, seems like a crazy idea.
Last edited by Paul_Sengupta on Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.