For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
The bloke running my recent speed awareness course said that in a multi-lane motorway, even if a speed limit figure was shown over only one of all the lanes, that speed limit applied across all the lanes of that particular stretch.

Peter
PeteSpencer wrote:The bloke running my recent speed awareness course said that in a multi-lane motorway, even if a speed limit figure was shown over only one of all the lanes, that speed limit applied across all the lanes of that particular stretch.

Peter

Miscellaneous wrote:Mmm,

Rule 256
Signals situated on the central reservation apply to all lanes. On very busy stretches, signals may be overhead with a separate signal for each lane.

Pete, Looks like you need to write to the Police Force in question and ask for a refund on the course cost and some compensation for the lost day.
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Sooty25 wrote:
Rule 256
Signals situated on the central reservation apply to all lanes. On very busy stretches, signals may be overhead with a separate signal for each lane.

Pete, Looks like you need to write to the Police Force in question and ask for a refund on the course cost and some compensation for the lost day.

Of course, as the late Professor Joad would have said, "It all depends on what you mean by 'signals' "

Peter
Glad its not just me that's spotted the nonsense and inconsistencies in "managed" motorway
signage.

There's a coda to my M25 lane closure at 40mph anecdote. I was getting the full "who's that idiot" from a car behind. Went past the obvious obstruction for another 1-2 miles wanting to move over and/or speed up. Went past multiple signs that were not lit looking for at least one to give me a clue as to what my instruction should be and then decided to move over to lane 1, but stay at 40mph, in an attempt to a) stay alive and b) risk a lane closure ticket, but not a speeding ticket.

Got the full staring "what does the idiot look like" from the passengers in the car behind as they shot round me and then, round another bend and about a mile further on, having assumed that the signage or process must have failed, finally got the de-restriction sign. Then spent a couple of weeks wondering if a ticket or letter would arrive in the post.

If the same thing happened today then I'd have 360 camera footage and would be submitting it to the police and highways agency so they can learn the danger that the signs, design and process created.

Our local police have made it clear that a restriction applies right up to the point where you pass a sign that changes it - particularly relevant where there is a gantry 200 yards past a congested junction. Maybe things are different near London. See what I mean about consistency?
Sooty25 wrote:I was then about to chip in with, "has anybody actually read the road traffic act?"

I used to follow a cycling forum that had very active contributions from a former police officer (aware there are many current ones here and in the wider flying community).

Some very interesting discussions about the law, many aspects of which road designers also seem to be unfamiliar with. Advanced stop lines at traffic lights are one example, There are many that don't provide a legal way for cyclists to enter the box on red. Many of those boxes are also very dangerous - they are perfectly sized to hide people in them from view from lorry cabs - just as many cycle lanes are also invisible to lorries. Another example of poor road design meeting poor vehicle design.

There's a road near here that has a 20mph limit past a school and that extends beyond the school down a hill with only one house and no repeater signs. That section causes conflict between people obeying the law and people who think they are driving too slowly and then overtake at 40+. Completely counter productive.

I checked the detail on that one - the original design and budget for signage was for the 20mph limit to only be outside the school, revert to 30 for a while, before dropping back to 20 as it got nearer a residential area. During the final planning phase the council accepted an appeal for the 20mph section to be extended so that it was contiguous. They identified that, legally, the remaining section was short enough (just) to not need legally need repeaters and they went ahead without allocating extra signs,