For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By stevelup
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Well it's getting on a bit, but as per previous reply, Apple don't normally drop support unless they have to. You've got the fingerprint reader and a 64-bit processor, so I expect it will stay working for quite some time.
flybymike liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
stevelup wrote:The fact that they provided this patch for the iPhone 5 (a model which was discontinued in 2013) in order to keep it operating is pretty much unheard of in the industry

Why would it stop working anyway? Why does it need a patch? I don't think any of my old phones have stopped talking with the network.

stevelup wrote:My guess, but don't hold me to this, is that you'll get at least another 2-3 years of 'full support' (i.e., compatibility with the latest iOS updates) and then a couple of years more after that.

Why do you actually need "support" for something to keep working? I have old electronic goods and computers which are still working long after their manufacturers have either disappeared or withdrawn "support".

stevelup wrote:I'm sure you will have upgraded before then.

:shock:
skydriller liked this
By stevelup
Paul_Sengupta wrote:Why would it stop working anyway? Why does it need a patch? I don't think any of my old phones have stopped talking with the network.

Because there was a GPS rollover issue which would have led to the clock not working, a consequence of which is that all certificates became invalid.

Why do you actually need "support" for something to keep working? I have old electronic goods and computers which are still working long after their manufacturers have either disappeared or withdrawn "support".

Well, unless there's a problem like the above, they will indeed carry on working forever. But having a phone stuck on an OS five years out of date that no modern apps will work on effectively makes it redundant.
By PeteSpencer
stevelup wrote:I'd guess at a very long time. But that's not the same as the device remaining genuinely useful. What's probably of greater concern is ongoing iOS updates.

My guess, but don't hold me to this, is that you'll get at least another 2-3 years of 'full support' (i.e., compatibility with the latest iOS updates) and then a couple of years more after that.

I'm sure you will have upgraded before then.

Not at £1k a pop to 'keep up to date' I won't.
In fact odds are I'll be dead and buried by then.

Peter
By stevelup
No, but you can take advantage of those suckers who do have incurable upgradeitis ;)

The 7 plus that you have now was £719 when it launched. The iPhone 11 is £729. So nothing has changed really.
By PeteSpencer
stevelup wrote:No, but you can take advantage of those suckers who do have incurable upgradeitis ;)

The 7 plus that you have now was £719 when it launched. The iPhone 11 is £729. So nothing has changed really.

Zounds! Those thieving cads at John Lewis charged me £749!

Never knowingly undersold my ar se. :twisted:

Peter
By Paul_Sengupta
Not entirely. It has to have a similar form factor and function. So let's imagine a fully built and equipped RV-10 for £120k vs a Cirrus SR22 for £700k.

Extras for the Cirrus may be BRS and TKS.

What is it that people want for £700 vs. what they want for £120?
By PaulB
An you really get a fully built and equipped RV10 for £120k?