For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Flying_john
No please don't, otherwise there will be constant references and links back to it to support whichever political point of view is under dispute and there will then be the inevitable "I told you so " brigade - on either side that will perpetuate it ad-nauseum.
By Sooty25
It is a shame it came to this, I missed the last days being away with flakey internet.

Shame on those that went too far. Mods need a "sin bin" button, participant's need restraint.

It is both interesting and worrying times politically, and this was the only brexit thread I followed anywhere as it remained reasonably polite, and dare I say intelligent from both sides
By TheKentishFledgling
Sooty25 wrote:Shame on those that went too far. Mods need a "sin bin" button, participant's need restraint.

To be fair, there wasn’t a straw that broke the camel’s back, and no one went too far. We just felt that it had run its course and by binning the thread we may help bring about a mood change that is probably overdue.
By Chris Martyr
TheKentishFledgling wrote:. We just felt that it had run its course .

Having only made a minor contribution to 'Neverendum' , I felt that it was a rather well orchestrated thread and very well restrained .

I certainly don't think it has "run its course" , and with consideration to the thin ice that the main political protagonists are now skating on ,,,[which hopefully will very soon become very deep water ] I firmly believe that the neverendum thread has quite a few miles to run yet .

I urge the honourable gentlemen to reconsider .
By rikur_
cached versions still available on Google by searching for site:forums.flyer.co.uk neverendum for those that desperately want to refer back to them
By Bill Haddow
rikur_ wrote:cached versions still available on Google by searching for site:forums.flyer.co.uk neverendum for those that desperately want to refer back to them

Not any point. If you were to post anything along the lines of "I refer to the post #123456 by @stupidface . . . " it would be donked.

Bill H
By Cessna571
There have been MUCH more contentious issues discussed on the forums, causing people to leave, sometimes causing valued members of the forum, with lots of aviation insight to leave.

Those threads weren’t donked, yet a thread that has caused zero flounces and in which everyone accepts there are 2 sides, and discusses the 2 sides, is donked?

I think the board members can only presume there is some sort of tension between the mods over the issue, there was no tension in the thread, I think maybe the thread was highlighting some home truths about Brexit, and someone with enough control to stop that, stopped it.

“Brexiteer” is not really a derogatory term, it’s a description, “remoaner” might be, but no one really used that.

I know there is at least one board member that knows Boris, is there also a mod that knows Boris?

To say it was donked because “it has run it’s course” when we are still in the EU and Boris is in a whole heap of trouble, is a bit odd.
By OCB
Personally, as the OP of Neverendum, I’m quite honoured to have been “the baker for the bun fight” - I’m also sad it’s gone.

After a quick flick through the daily’s, it was my first port of call.

Locking it would have just spawned another thread, so if the aim of the Mods is “no politics and religion”, then I get their point.

I also get the point of many forumites, who put a lot of thought and intellectual energy into some arguments - and were appreciative of the responses (either way) they received.

That’s the sad part of the “delete” button.

Neverendum has become NeverHappened.

I’m fine with that. My little thread has been to room 101, and is now sitting at the Chestnut Tree Café, sitting by a chess board and drinking gin. :thumright:
By OCB
Now the question arises - is the grief felt by the loss of the Neverendum post “personalization” or “anthropomorphic”.

Discuss.

(...leave pin on floor, take coat and RLF)
By riverrock
Echoing others above I think its a disappointing decision.
People put a lot of energy into it, researching and countering arguments and it was all good natured that I saw. Its been the best place I've seen for reasoned debate. It fitted the Non-Aviation forum well.
Shame.
By PaulB
riverrock wrote:Echoing others above I think its a disappointing decision.
People put a lot of energy into it, researching and countering arguments and it was all good natured that I saw. Its been the best place I've seen for reasoned debate. It fitted the Non-Aviation forum well.
Shame.

I can only echo what RR says above, and I’m (as the Farmer would put it) a snowflake. The debate was good humoured in the main and informative.

It’s such a shame that it was deemed worthy of removing, especially with the goings on last week and potential goings on next week. Fascinating stuff that we all ought to be interested in and talking about
By cockney steve
@PaulB said
Fascinating stuff that we all ought to be interested in and talking about

I think we probably are,- Just, -not here :P - disappointing as it is, 'tis Ian's trainset, he decides.