For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By rikur_
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
(hopefully we can keep this non-political and keep to the topic, not the cause of the topic)

Various discussions about stockpiling in case of disruption to supply chains, have got me thinking about whether I should rationally consider stockpiling anything. But it's difficult to know what relies upon international supply chains, and hence to make any sort of rational decision. Also some supply chains might be disrupted by panic buying rather than real disruption.

Thinking through the sort of things that could potentially have an impact on day-to-day quality of life:

1) Food - we don't have a fancy diet. Half our friends farm, I'm sure we'll continue to eat. We might have a more basic choice of fruit and salad for a while. Perhaps stock-up a little on things like olive oil, tea/coffee, tinned tomatoes, etc .... I believe we're a net importer of milk, but the thought of stockpiling UHT milk doesn't appeal as I'm not sure I'd drink it anyway.
2) Heating oil - I think we're a net exporter of heating oil so should be ok, but I'd naturally be stocking up ahead of winter price rises anyway.
3) Car fuel - can't realistically stockpile this.
4) Medicines - difficult to work out individual supply chains, a few spare doses of regularly used stuff like ibuprofene seems prudent.
5) Clothes/shoes/etc ..... as my wife points out, much of my wardrobe is older than our marriage, so see no need there.
6) Toiletries - worst case we'd have to start using those unwanted christmas gift sets that have spent 10 years in the bathroom cabinet. Perhaps put a few tubes of toothpaste in stock.
7) Detergents/cleaning products - no idea where this stuff comes from, cheap enough to stick a few spare bottles under the sink.

From what I can tell, there isn't a lot that I can really do much about - and the biggest impact is likely to be on short shelf life stuff that I can't stockpile anyway. Or am I missing a trick?
By chevvron
rikur_ wrote:(hopefully we can keep this non-political and keep to the topic, not the cause of the topic)

Various discussions about stockpiling in case of disruption to supply chains, have got me thinking about whether I should rationally consider stockpiling anything. But it's difficult to know what relies upon international supply chains, and hence to make any sort of rational decision. Also some supply chains might be disrupted by panic buying rather than real disruption.

Thinking through the sort of things that could potentially have an impact on day-to-day quality of life:

From what I can tell, there isn't a lot that I can really do much about - and the biggest impact is likely to be on short shelf life stuff that I can't stockpile anyway. Or am I missing a trick?

Greg Wallace, that well known ex barrow boy, recently revealed that tinned goods stay edible long past their 'use by' dates provided the tins aren't dented or puntured.
He tested tinned goods up to 40 years old and it was still fit to eat.
By Rob P
chevvron wrote:Greg Wallace... tested tinned goods up to 40 years old and it was still fit to eat.

Shame

Rob P
GrahamB, eltonioni, tomshep and 1 others liked this
By cjrpaterson
rikur_ wrote:3) Car fuel - can't realistically stockpile this.

Time to get friendly with your closest airfield stocking UL91 :wink:
By romille
I think if people panic and start stockpiling things that will falsely create a shortage, which will then cause price rises. I think that if someone is dependant on a certain medication asking for a repeat prescription while you still have a couple of weeks supply left is a sensible idea.
chevvron liked this
By PaulB
romille wrote:I think if people panic and start stockpiling things that will falsely create a shortage, which will then cause price rises. I think that if someone is dependant on a certain medication asking for a repeat prescription while you still have a couple of weeks supply left is a sensible idea.

There are already multiple medicine shortages and have been for over a decade. (We allocated one of our staff specifically to try and source meds that were out of stock at the usual suppliers. The situation became so bad that it ended up as their full time job.)
By eltonioni
This one is easy. Just buy the stuff that clears off the shelf as soon as snow is predicted in the south.

(Or get a loaf out of the freezer like we do up here)
nallen, cockney steve, rikur_ and 1 others liked this
By JAFO
rikur_ wrote:Various discussions about stockpiling in case of disruption to supply chains, have got me thinking about whether I should rationally consider stockpiling anything.

No.
By chevvron
JoeC wrote:I hear that the middle-classes have already started stockpiling Polish plumbers, Lithuanian baristas, Romanian builders, Spanish care workers, German engineers and Dutch doctors. Just in case.

Right at this very moment, Sky News are saying they'll all be kicked out after 31 Oct if 'No Deal'.
By romille
PaulB wrote:There are already multiple medicine shortages and have been for over a decade. (We allocated one of our staff specifically to try and source meds that were out of stock at the usual suppliers. The situation became so bad that it ended up as their full time job.)

Can you enlighten me as to the reasons for medicine shortages, is it just simply that there is more demand than the drugs firms can manufacture or is there some other reason. Is it mainly drugs that are still under patent or are generic drugs also in short supply?
By Colonel Panic
My understanding is that supplies of drugs manufactured in mainland Europe might be delayed at the ports, so an uninterrupted supply might not be possible.
By romille
Colonel Panic wrote:My understanding is that supplies of drugs manufactured in mainland Europe might be delayed at the ports, so an uninterrupted supply might not be possible.

Surely it is not beyond the wit of customs and excise to identify trucks and containers carrying medicines and fast track the clearing of them.