For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By eltonioni
Some substance for anyone who cares;

Ten years of HMG annual progress reports to the climate change committee: https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... -responses

The climate change committee: https://www.theccc.org.uk/publications/

Happy to help :)
By johnm
Haven't studied it in detail, but a speed read suggests a lot of form with a little bit of praiseworthy substance :-)

It's also focussed only carbon emissions and there's a lot more to think about in climate and environmental terms.
By johnm
I'm all for a bit muddle in protest, it makes it reassuringly human :-) Meantime are you reading Fake Law?
By Propwash
Blocking the distribution of newspapers because the members of a political movement don't like what it chooses to print is not protest; it is censorship. I don't see how that can possibly sit right with someone who is concerned about "fake news".

PW
eltonioni liked this
By johnm
Propwash wrote:Blocking the distribution of newspapers because the members of a political movement don't like what it chooses to print is not protest; it is censorship. I don't see how that can possibly sit right with someone who is concerned about "fake news".

PW

They weren't really blocking newspapers, just Murdoch's comics and then only the paper versions, they still escape on line :D
By Miscellaneous
Like becoming too focused on the probability of an unfavourable outcome of an inadvertent spin in a PA38, at risk of missing the bigger picture, I can't help but feel many environmentalists get lost in the minutiae. That's not to say that either is not worthy of consideration and action, just a suggestion that it may serve well to remove the blinkers and view the bigger picture.

A quote from the Astronomer Royal adds some perspective.
Sir Martin Rees wrote:Most educated people are aware that we're the outcome of nearly 4 billion years of Darwinian selection, but many tend to think that humans are somehow the culmination. Our sun, however, is less than halfway through its lifespan. It will not be humans who watch the sun's demise, 6 billion years from now. Any creatures that then exist will be as different from us as we are from bacteria or amoebae.
eltonioni, MikeB liked this
By eltonioni
johnm wrote:I'm all for a bit muddle in protest, it makes it reassuringly human :-) Meantime are you reading Fake Law?

Do you mean the book by the anonymous fake barrister who is actually a strawman cock puppet devised by Dominic Cummings to undermine trust in the leftier leanings of some Bar members?

That one?

No.
By kanga
johnm wrote:..hey weren't really blocking newspapers, just Murdoch's comics and then only the paper versions, they still escape on line :D

Oh, that's a bit unfair. The same plants reportedly print those paragons of unbiased veracity, the Telegraphs Mails and Evening Standard :wink:
johnm, Bob Bevan liked this
By johnm
Ah Martin Rees, there is a serious brain!

I had the privilege of working with him on a project when I was at Cambridge. Excellent level headed chap.
By Miscellaneous
@johnm I'm pleased to hear you consider him worthy of consideration. :thumright:

I thought you may have something to say about the substance of his quote? Maybe if those you admire so much did remove the blinkers they would acknowledge the irony in their very existence being in no small way the consequence of mass extinction. :wink:
By johnm
Miscellaneous wrote:@johnm I'm pleased to hear you consider him worthy of consideration. :thumright:

I thought you may have something to say about the substance of his quote? Maybe if those you admire so much did remove the blinkers they would acknowledge the irony in their very existence being in no small way the consequence of mass extinction. :wink:

I'm not sure I admire extinction rebellion per se, I just think we need rebellion in general at the moment :-)
By Propwash
johnm wrote:I'm not sure I admire extinction rebellion per se, I just think we need rebellion in general at the moment :-)

Even if that is a tongue in cheek remark, it betrays a rather odd mindset, similar to the child who takes his bat and ball home in a fit of high dudgeon when he is given out. If you support rebellion when the world is not going exactly as you personally would wish then you can't complain if others rebel when it is. That would be a recipe for never-ending chaos. We need a scenario plan for that. :wink:

PW