For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Rob P
I'd guess Sainsbury policy would be to simply ignore an act like this.

Rob P
By Miscellaneous
Cessna571 wrote:Anyway, our resident XR members will be along to defend these criminals in a minute.

What's the weather like down your way? He's maybe out burning some AVAGS at the moment? :wink: Might be along later. :D

@Rob P I'd go with that view. Shame though, such policies condones and encourages such behaviour.
By johnm
I was in Westminster all day yesterday 8)
By Cessna571
John, do you go to the meetings for the Cambridge cell or do you just turn up at the demonstrations?

If you go to meetings you’ll probably know the chap I work with. He’s a “Lieutenant” apparently.

He organised all the logistics, hired the lorries etc for one of the sites of disruption last year. I couldn’t believe what it cost or how organised it was.

Back in the early 90’s I knew someone who knew someone and I ended up at a lock in in a certain pub with about 6 chaps that supported a certain cause. Was one of the weirdest occurrences of my life. I can’t believe it didn’t scare me more. I wasn’t being recruited it just happened in passing and I was a bit “WTF is going on?” with some of the stuff being discussed.

The XR lieutenants and cells and money raising I find odd.

Do you take part in that side or do you just turn up?

genuinely interested now, we can sit in our trenches throwing insults at each other, but it’s better to try and understand the other persons point of view.

I’m sure you’re not mad, so going to Westminster was a thought through action, I just don’t understand why anyone would be involved.

I’ve had conversations about the other organisation with people “who were there” I understand it.

I don’t understand XR, I’ve only been able to discuss it with fanatics who don’t talk reason.

Can you discuss it differently.

Genuinely interested how deeply you are involved, are you on the payroll? (You don’t think everyone protests for free do you!!) do you go to your local cell meetings?

Was it you that changed their mind about the light aviation attacks being discussed at the Cambridge cell?
By Cessna571
John, although I discuss such stuff at work, I understand an open forum might not be the place.

If you can’t discuss on the open forum, at least PM me with a yes or no as to if you go to the cell meetings, it’ll inform my view of your responses to some of the questions I’ve asked in the past.

Didn’t realise you were active., be interesting to know if you’re rank and file or even uninitiated.

The chap at work is not active this year, he’s got other stuff on.
By johnm
:D 8)

I was in Westminster moving an elderly relative from St Thomas's hospital to a nursing home and starting the process of sorting out his flat.

I can't resist a bit of mischief, sorry.... :oops:

Edited to add:

On the other topic I'm a supporter of protest movements and satire etc. simply because without them govts and similar organisations tend to get ideas above their station. Over the years I've noted that weak governments and weak management tend to attract more disruption.

Even as far back as the Thatcher years I was one of those who used to point out that management tends to get the union relations it deserves and governments get the protest movements they deserve.
kanga liked this
By Cessna571
oh, ok. :thumright: I thought you were actually involved in some way.

How we’d have laughed if they’d disrupted you or your friends day. That would have been interesting. :D
By eltonioni
johnm wrote:Even as far back as the Thatcher years I was one of those who used to point out that management tends to get the union relations it deserves and governments get the protest movements they deserve.

Hard to reconcile that statement with the XR and BLM protests in the first (only?) country to enshrine carbon reduction targets into law, led by a liberal PM that's called for asylum amnesties in the past. Maybe the Malthusians race baiters need protesting about instead?

By the way, the RNLI volunteers ferried about 400 illegal migrants to these shores yesterday to support criminal gangs instead of going about their personal business and supporting their families during a pandemic. Maybe that's something to protest about too?

While we're in protest mode, how about rocking up in numbers outside the Chinese and Russian embassies to protest real oppression and murder of citizens and politicians? Or the Palestinian consulate to protest gay rights? Or any one of a hundred better reasons to protest than the middle class affectations of personal slights that XR and BLM see in the ether?
Last edited by eltonioni on Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
By johnm
Cessna571 wrote:oh, ok. :thumright: I thought you were actually involved in some way.

How we’d have laughed if they’d disrupted you or your friends day. That would have been interesting. :D

They did cause some traffic disruption but nothing that a bit of patience and rerouting couldn't solve. :D

It was a long day, :( Our relative is safe but we now have to plan his future and that won't be easy......
By johnm
eltonioni wrote:
johnm wrote:Even as far back as the Thatcher years I was one of those who used to point out that management tends to get the union relations it deserves and governments get the protest movements they deserve.

Hard to reconcile that statement with the XR and BLM protests in the first (only?) country to enshrine carbon reduction targets into law, led by a liberal PM that's called for asylum amnesties in the past. Maybe the Malthusians race baiters need protesting about instead?

By the way, the RNLI volunteers ferried about 400 illegal migrants to these shores yesterday to support criminal gangs instead of going about their personal business and supporting their families during a pandemic. Maybe that's something to protest about too?

To your first paragraph that's just an example of some folk reacting to the triumph of form over substance which pervades modern Britain.

To the second the criminal gangs would have no market if there was a proper processing system for those seeking to come here instead of a load of jingoistic bull's ordure.
By eltonioni
And the third paragraph?
eltonioni wrote:While we're in protest mode, how about rocking up in numbers outside the Chinese and Russian embassies to protest real oppression and murder of citizens and politicians? Or the Palestinian consulate to protest gay rights? Or any one of a hundred better reasons to protest than the middle class affectations of personal slights that XR and BLM see in the ether?

By johnm
@eltonioni Your third paragraph has much to commend it but I fear many people have concerns closer to home at the moment and it's pretty clear that Russia and China are immune to protest, so concerted UN action is needed and sadly there's no appetite at this point :-(
By Propwash
johnm wrote:@eltonioni Your third paragraph has much to commend it but I fear many people have concerns closer to home at the moment and it's pretty clear that Russia and China are immune to protest, so concerted UN action is needed and sadly there's no appetite at this point :-(

Which is an interesting admission considering you appear to support Extinction Rebellion, the aims of which are to force the UK government (including by mass law-breaking) into legislating for legally binding environmental restrictions over and above those already (I think almost uniquely amongst nations) on UK statute books. Such unilateral action (which for such a comparatively small country would have little effect on global emissions) would place our economy at a serious disadvantage to others in countries which, as you rightly say, have little appetite for such changes or intention of implementing them. At any time that would be foolish but at the present time absurd. Any worthwhile action on the environment must be global in nature and scale.

That is why the overwhelming majority of sensible people, whilst they may or may not have concerns about climate change, see XR for what it is: a trouble-making political movement to which many naive middle class people have become attracted. It may be fashionable in some circles but is pointless just as CND was back in the day, probably supported by the grandparents of those young people now gluing themselves to London roads.

PW
By johnm
The reason I support protest movements in the UK at the moment is that I'm tired of the constant stream of misinformation and the triumph of form over substance. As my dear old nana used to say "talk's cheap" and if ever we needed effective strategic action it is now.

Organisations like XR may be misguided and ineffective, but at least they are trying to get the attention of people who could and should already be addressing the issues they raise.

The legislation about climate change at the moment is one of the more cynical triumphs of form over substance amongst many.