For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By KeithM
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Going back to that ASA spokesperson on BBC News recently. She gave a convoluted explanation for the ruling and mentioned that the potential to cause “harm” is now taken into account as well as the issue of “offence”.

Okay, so if potential (or, indeed, actual) “harm” is a consideration what about, for example, those numerous adverts for high interest pay day loan schemes and for gambling?

By comparison, statistics might suggest that the baby on the conveyor ad is utterly harmLESS.

Oh, and was the advert, perhaps, depicting a gay couple with an adopted, borrowed or kidnapped child or, similarly, two heterosexuals or one of each? And if gay, are they married, civil partners, or just good friends or have they only just met?

As it isn’t quite clear, I’m unable to decide whether I feel harmed or offended and whether or not I, too, should make a complaint.

Maybe I should ring the ASA for guidance?
By TheFarmer
Miscellaneous wrote:@PaulB, when I saw that article I had a little bet with myself you would post it on the forum. I won! :D

I have a bet to myself for every single news article I read that will happen, and I’m 93% right every time. :lol:
Miscellaneous liked this
By Miscellaneous
TheFarmer wrote:
Miscellaneous wrote:@PaulB, when I saw that article I had a little bet with myself you would post it on the forum. I won! :D

I have a bet to myself for every single news article I read that will happen, and I’m 93% right every time. :lol:

What happens the other 7%? Do you beat Paul because he's otherwise engaged? :wink:

By TheFarmer
:lol:

He certainly never seems to be flying, that’s for sure. :D

This forum has become a beige discussion group for men wearing mainly beige, with a beige outlook on a rather beige world. :D

(With sandals and concealed bumbag for valuable notes and possessions).
Sooty25 liked this
By PaulB
TheFarmer wrote::lol:

He certainly never seems to be flying, that’s for sure. :D

Do t tell me.... I know :-( I’m back to renting and inspiring, it ain’t. (There are other reasons too, but not for discussion here.)

This forum has become a beige discussion group for men wearing mainly beige, with a beige outlook on a rather beige world. :D

(With sandals and concealed bumbag for valuable notes and possessions).

It’s hard to pick something that’ll get a decent discussion, that doesn’t break the bloomin’ rules!

(I’m not sure that I have any beige, but I know what you mean.....)
By PaulB
JoeC wrote:Don't worry Paul....

I don’t. :thumright:
JoeC liked this
By Miscellaneous
PaulB wrote:It’s hard to pick something that’ll get a decent discussion, that doesn’t break the bloomin’ rules!

That's true and when you do get something there are those determined to take everything out of context for their own agenda, rather than have that discussion. :wink:
By TheFarmer
Paul

Didn’t realise. Sorry.

If you’re near me you can fly my machine when you like, assuming medicals and licence requirements etc. Having had my own share of carp in recent months, I’m happy to help out if I can.

@JoeC - I’m assuming there aren’t any mirrors in your house. :wink:
By Miscellaneous
TheFarmer wrote:If you’re near me you can fly my machine when you like, assuming medicals and licence requirements etc. Having had my own share of carp in recent months, I’m happy to help out if I can.

@PaulB, what can I say? You're in the 99%! :thumright: :D
PaulB liked this
By PaulB
TheFarmer wrote:Didn’t realise. Sorry.

No probs... thanks.
TheFarmer liked this
By kanga
Tale (2nd hand, but source not apocryphal) from very beginning of ITV in '50s (yes, I do remember):

One of the very first advertisements on ITV was for Crosse & Blackwell soups; not the first, which I believe may have been for Murray Mints. Anyway, a C&B advertising slogan (pre-ITV) was '10-o'clock tested', falsely implying that testers would stop the production lines at 10 every day for QC testing. Obviously, that false impolication would not now be allowed.

Anyway, C&B executives commissioned a TV ad from people who were used to making cinema ads, where soup ads were not shown. The C&B people wanted to 'show the testing': people tasting the soup. The ad people persuaded them that having the testers in white coats (for B&W film, obviously, then), to appear scientific, although the people in the film were not in any way scientists; again, not allowed now. But the C&B people insisted that the 'tasters' were actual C&B executives, becausing using actors would be 'dishonest'. The result was rather 'wooden'. :roll:
By PaulB
kanga wrote:One of the very first advertisements on ITV was for Crosse & Blackwell soups; not the first, which I believe may have been for Murray Mints.

I thought the first was pepsodent toothpaste - goes off to check... Well, it was toothpaste, but Gibbs SR, not Pepsodent

kanga liked this