For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
Boxkite wrote:BBC news today :
Watching [TV] programmes on a TV set is still the most popular way........ to watch television

NSS

Well thank you BBC, my life has been enriched with that piece of information! :roll:
By nallen
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Yeah but no but …

Forbes reported a while ago a US study that found:

"Another finding from the Magid study was the vast majority of young adults, ages 18-34, prefer to watch entertainment on a laptop, smartphone or tablet, rather than a TV. They watch full length movies on tablets in bed and more movies on their phones on the go. The broader population is catching up to the stampede to the net. About 60% of of Americans who are 8-64 years old say they prefer to watch TV on a computer or smartphone, so only 40% of consumers prefer cable, satellite or broadcast TV."

The trend to watch programmes on devices other than televisions is growing rapidly, so the finding that watching on a TV set is still the preferred option here is news of a sort.

(But if you are an old git and hang around only with old gits, then this trend has quite possibly passed you by … )
By Irv Lee
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Chris Martyr wrote:
Irv Lee wrote: how about "fat chance of surviving if this burk gets his way?"

Boris' no-deal threat to EU ?

Jean-Claude Juncker would probably drink to that .

yes, I suspect JCJ would!
Available on a few sites, but I though 'walesonline' sounded apt, even if url spelling needs an 'h' to be amusing: https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/uk-n ... s-16708510
Michael Buerk - the host of Radio 4's Moral Maze - says fat people are 'not ill' but 'weak' and the NHS should let them die.
Writing in the Radio Times the former BBC News presenter claimed the NHS could save money and society would benefit if the obese died 'a decade earlier'
Irv Lee wrote:Actually I was thinking of current news items, "

Irv . For the past 3yrs , the Brexit fiasco has just about eclipsed everything else . Plus there are all the other non-news items like ; 'The neighbours baby ate our Rottweiller' type of rubbish.

The decades prior to internet/digitalia provided so much more entertaining and proper news material . And the main purveyors were BBC & ITN . Unlike today where goodness knows how many worldwide news agencies are jostling with each other for viewing figures .

Hence the great stories like ;

Who's motto was ; "Bugger the Liberals".
Which Tory grandee told Lady MacMillan ; "she'd never had it so good ".
Ms Coghlan tells Jeffrey ; " you scratch my back . I'll scratch yours" .

Yes , I know that there are a few juicy news stories around today , but they get so diluted by all the other reality TV type stories like , who's doing what to who on 'Strictly' , or what brainless millennial chimps are up to on Love Island . And what really irks me , is the way this trash even gets column space in The Times , Telegraph , Guardian ,,,,

And I totally agree with MIchael Buerk .. :thumright:
'The Oldie' has a regular 'NOT MANY DEAD: Important stories you may have missed' column; '£15 for published contributions'. :)

August issue includes:

"Officers found a lost snake on the M25 near Severnoaks"
"Flight delayed as woman mistakes exit for lavatory"
"Metal fabrications business moves to larger premises"
Irv Lee liked this
A fair while ago now, there used to be blokes who sold newspapers by standing on street corners and yelling something incomprehensible.

These news vendors always had beside them a hand-written hoarding held in place by diamond wire mesh. This hand-written sign would display a headline pertaining to the latest news.

There was one chap who always sold out of his newspaper allotment - to the consternation of his fellow newspaper sellers.

This chap's secret selling ploy was to change the hoarding's words to something sensational. But, on the other hand, to something completely honest. To something that nobody could ever complain about.

For example: 'NO NEWS OF THE POPE'.

The newspaper he was selling would contain absolutely no news of the Pope.