Non aviation content. Play nice – No religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.

Moderator: Flyin'Dutch'

User avatar
By Dodo
#1704197
rikur_ wrote:The one I found quite spooky was that Facebook prompted a friend suggestion of a lady that used to commute on the same train as me. At the time we didn't know each other, but FB must have worked out that we were regularly in the same place as each other. We know each other nowadays, and don't know of any shared friends or other common thread between us, other than we used to catch the same train.

User avatar
By Paul_Sengupta
#1704221
The last one I had was when I was chatting to a friend one evening about those emergency things that old people hang around their neck to call for help. He was telling me that it might be an idea for my father to get one. The following day I got a Facebook ad for them. Not had a similar ad before or since though. My friend isn't on Facebook.
VictoryRoll liked this
By VictoryRoll
#1704234
JoeC wrote:Synchronicity.

Old geezer gets served an ad for old geezer band. Naturally thinks it’s subterfuge. Turns out most old geezers listen to and talk about a relatively small repertoire of old geezer bands.


So. I get your theory, but I’ve never listened to that nor searched before and my mate who discussed it doesn’t even have a smartphone....!

Ps only had FaceTwit a couple of months too !!
JoeC liked this
By VictoryRoll
#1704235
Paul_Sengupta wrote:The last one I had was when I was chatting to a friend one evening about those emergency things that old people hang around their neck to call for help. He was telling me that it might be an idea for my father to get one. The following day I got a Facebook ad for them. Not had a similar ad before or since though. My friend isn't on Facebook.


Hmmm not just me then.
Time to have some fun with it methinks :twisted:
User avatar
By Pete L
#1704247
"Oh Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes-Benz...".

In other American spyware news, apparently Google keeps a list of everything you ever bought where Gmail was involved in the transaction.
PaulB liked this
User avatar
By PaulB
#1704277
VictoryRoll wrote:Well this is it - I don’t have the face app and nothing else has access to camera or microphone (with my knowledge) .....


So what was listening then?
By Nomad63
#1704282
Wouldn't suprise me that Google has a few desks at Menwith Hill, probably just across the corrider from ****'s lot

Donked word = facebook owner but not with a Z
User avatar
By rikur_
#1704303
Flyingfemme wrote:I found out recently that google maps uses mobile phone positions to work out where traffic is slow or jammed.............

Has done for years. In a similar context O2 has a business unit focused on selling similar data gathered from phones, e.g. to highways planning teams
By VictoryRoll
#1704436
PaulB wrote:
VictoryRoll wrote:Well this is it - I don’t have the face app and nothing else has access to camera or microphone (with my knowledge) .....


So what was listening then?


I’m sorry I haven’t a clue .

Or to not quite quote radio four , and quote BoB - The basrstewards are up to something......
By johnm
#1704467
There is no escape from a lot of this stuff. I do however lie as much as practicable so on Facebook the only real info is my name. Many hotel wifi try to harvest emails etc. but most only check format and so I use fictitious addresses and names for those too.
User avatar
By PaulB
#1704491
VictoryRoll wrote:
PaulB wrote:
VictoryRoll wrote:Well this is it - I don’t have the face app and nothing else has access to camera or microphone (with my knowledge) .....


So what was listening then?


I’m sorry I haven’t a clue .


Two things... it's well known that Facebook & Google track your movements across the Internet - even if you are not logged in and even if you don't have an account.

Secondly, what apps have access to the microphone.. or do you have other smart devices (Alexa, Google home thingy)