For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By chevvron
In the thread I started about a possible new/re-opened airfield in Kent, I mentioned going to St Marys Bay for school summer camp.
I went there in 1958 at the age of 8 along with some of my school chums and a couple of teachers, the first time any of us kids had been away without our parents.
I formed the opinion then that it was an old WW2 army camp and held this view for 60 odd years until recently when, on researching Littlestone Airfield, just north of the camp, I discovered it was actually built during WW1 and used by the RFC.
I wonder, did anyone else on here go there?
http://www.stmarysbay.net/history/camp.htm#camp
By chevvron
Aw c'mon now, surely one or two or you went to St Marys Bay in the '50s or '60s?
You'd certainly remember it; the sleeping accomodation was in large rooms with about 30 beds, these being wooden rectangles on 4 legs with a sheet of canvas stretched across the frame, no mattress or bedspring. Toilets and washbasins in a small room at one end (showers were in a separate block some distance away) and two small rooms for the teachers at the opposite end.
Daily activities consisted of a coach or train trip every day.
By Dodo
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I did not go but Mrs Dodo went there and tells me it was a bit basic. (She was 10 so this would have been in the mid 60s). Food was, apparently, even worse than school dinners.
By chevvron
I don't remember much about the food.
We had breakfast and an evening meal there as we went on excursions every day and we took packed lunches, but whether we had cooked breakfasts or just cereal I don't recall.
I do recall 4 of us every day were detailed for 'cookhouse duties', serving our own schoolmates with their meals and afterwards preparing the packed lunches for next day.