For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By PaulB
“Text to switch” starts today. Now you can get the PAC Code required to change mobile providers with a simple text message rather than having to call your current provider and being kept on hold, forced through tortuous menus and subject to a hard sell.

Apparently it’s the end of out of contract notice periods too. Well done Ofcom!

By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I had real hassle switching my mobile from Voda a month ago for a much better sim only data deal with another provider: Texts and phone calls from Voda for three weeks asking me not to go and offering improved (but not as good) deal.

Could have done with this facility then.
Just about to switch from Giff-gaff whose prices have shot up.
Be interesting to see if it's as painless as trumpeted.

Peter
About 20 years ago, my friend got an upgrade phone from Orange ("The future is...." remember them) so I thought I'll try to get an upgrade too.

My final gambit was to ask for a PAC code to which they replied "Certainly, Sir. We'll send it by text. You'll have it within 2 minutes." And I did!

We seem to have gone full circle.....
By PaulB
Colonel Panic wrote:Seems like a solution to a half hearted problem to me.

I’d disagree.... when it’s fully working (it doesn’t seem to be at the moment) it should make changing a doddle. If changing is a doodle, then will there be pressure on providers to ensure that better deals are available (to encourage customers to stay) as opposed to the current situation where existing customers are often treated with contempt.
By avtur3
PaulB wrote:
Colonel Panic wrote:Seems like a solution to a half hearted problem to me.

I’d disagree.... when it’s fully working (it doesn’t seem to be at the moment) it should make changing a doddle. If changing is a doodle, then will there be pressure on providers to ensure that better deals are available (to encourage customers to stay) as opposed to the current situation where existing customers are often treated with contempt.

Which is exactly the logic behind Ofcom's move to introduce this system, they believe that a particular barrier to customers changing is the need to call in person and the resulting 'pressure' that often arises from dealing with 'customer retention' agents.

However ... I was listening to a piece on local radio this afternoon and the technology correspondent had a different point of view. He was concerned at what he described as the total lack of security in the new process. That being that there is no check as to the identity of the person requesting the change, meaning that anyone with access to the phone can initiate the change and because the commitment is to send the PAC code within a minute then it made it very easy for someone with dishonest intentions obtain the PAC code and transfer the identity of the phone to another handset. This has all manner of repercussions when things like internet banking are factored in.

Does he have a point?
By rikur_
avtur3 wrote:
However ... I was listening to a piece on local radio this afternoon and the technology correspondent had a different point of view. He was concerned at what he described as the total lack of security in the new process. That being that there is no check as to the identity of the person requesting the change, meaning that anyone with access to the phone can initiate the change and because the commitment is to send the PAC code within a minute then it made it very easy for someone with dishonest intentions obtain the PAC code and transfer the identity of the phone to another handset. This has all manner of repercussions when things like internet banking are factored in.

Does he have a point?

Coincidentally one of my colleagues tried this yesterday on our CTO's phone that he left on his desk. It did text back with a challenge question ..... but as this was date of birth it was easy to work out (companies house gives year of birth, and day/month established from recent birthday drinks)
Colonel Panic liked this
Even without the new switching process, text messages shouldn't be used for two-factor authentication. With a bit of social engineering and good luck, somebody could get a replacement SIM for your account sent to them and effectively hijack your number (and the 2FA text from your bank/HMRC/etc.).
Colonel Panic liked this
By johnm
I haven’t switched provider since 1986. I just ask for a better deal from time to time and usually get one.
By rikur_
cjrpaterson wrote:Even without the new switching process, text messages shouldn't be used for two-factor authentication.

Increasingly they are not a second factor as both iOS and Android allow you to read messages on computers and other devices.
cjrpaterson liked this