For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
Unless, of course, like me one has zero interest in any other title.

MS have lost me as a customer by moving MS Office to subscription (&/or markedly reducing the number of machines a paid for licence can be used on), and Adobe have lost me for Photoshop, Dreamweaver & InDesign because of their move to CC subscriptions. And I will move away from my (paid for) Lightroom as soon as it stops working.

I just don't use these titles enough - or keep using "old" versions for a long time - to make a subscription worthwhile. There are too many alternatives that work almost a well and are far cheaper.

But we digress :wink:
Gas Guzzler, JAFO, Sooty25 liked this
Renting software?, It's a business model, as always its about getting as much money as the market can bear
Personaly I don't like renting stuff
Steve, get back to us on how many of those 100 titles keep your interest :D

Graphics on the trailer look amazing, nobody seems to know anything else about it yet.
All a bit out of the blue
By stevelup
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I'm not convinced it's more expensive - it really does depend on your use case. Adobe CC for example, the annual cost of that - for access to -all- Adobe apps, is less than it used to cost to just buy Photoshop on it's own.

That trailer - take it with a pinch of salt. That will have been done on the mother of all PCs (if it was even rendered in real time anyway).

It's quite likely that not one person here on these forums even owns a PC that could play the game using the settings in that trailer.
By stevelup
Nomad63 wrote:Steve, get back to us on how many of those 100 titles keep your interest :D

Given that a single 'a-list' title will set you back £50 these days, you only need to play two different games each year for it to be cost effective.
Before I swapped to LibreOffice ~18 months ago I was still using MS Office 2008 (or possibly 2011?) as it was fine for my needs. I don't want or need a rental contract.

I have zero interest in games in general, so £50 a year for many years is a load more expensive than I would want to pay for MSFS on a rental basis.
JAFO liked this
stevelup wrote:No-one really knows yet.

What is known is that they poached a few X-Plane staff, and rumour has it, it's a proper laminar flow based physics model rather than the fixed tables used by old FS.

Certainly will be interesting.

That's promising - it could be a believable arcade game. But it'll never be a learning tool for pre-PPL students on a home pc.
T67M, JAFO liked this
Not a learning tool. Too complicated and too little ROI to try and make money from real aviation! There’s a big market for flight simmers who never want to go near a real, oily, noisy, expensive, possibly life-limiting real aircraft. Just enjoy it for what it is. A good looking piece of fun that lets you fly a 747 around the Eiffel Tower!

There will some rivet counters (cough- x-plane) who may take it very seriously but it is really just another way of enjoying another bit of aviation geekery. And why not. :thumright:
By Melanie Moxon
I wonder if the runways will follow the terrain in this one, because other than finding trees in the middle of runways in FSX one of my biggest bug bears regarding airports/airfields was the lack of sloped or contoured runways (one could always land off piste of course) even airfields like bagby were totally flat and offered little challenge.

Renting games not a big fan, I prefer to buy stuff outright, its why I don't use spotify and the likes for music, so if that is the case I will probably never get to try it, even if my machine can handle it. it does look lovely in the video though :)

As far as system requirements goes, I bought my machine a few years ago, spec'ed with a Haswell i7 (old hat now but its overclocked to 4.4GHz so still holds its own - just) with an Nvidia 780 graphics card, the processor when running FSX was flat out on all cores and the graphics card was barely above idle. One day the graphics card packed in (I now have a 1070) whilst playing another game so I switched to the onboard graphics, I barely noticed the difference in FSX. I use X-Plane 11 now (I do miss the A2A aircraft though, the accusim modelling is wonderful) an that works the processor and the graphics card hard, during the summer they are both sat at about 70 deg C.
chipmeisterc liked this