For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Iceman
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Sifting through some company paperwork recently, I found a cheque to my company from HMRC that had got mislaid and I hadn't presented to the bank. The cheque dates from August 2013., and hence is now six years old. Would this cheque still be accepted by a bank ?

Iceman 8)
Iceman wrote:Sifting through some company paperwork recently, I found a cheque to my company from HMRC that had got mislaid and I hadn't presented to the bank. The cheque dates from August 2013.,

Iceman 8)

You might also want to give your book keeper and/or accountant a bit of a grilling for not noticing it hadn't been reconciled!
Iceman liked this
cockney steve wrote:Make sure you take a colour photocopy first, as there is a realistic possibility they will "never have received it"

I would do that whatever “organisation” was involved.
kanga liked this
My wife, being efficient and not wanting to let my "tax rebate" cheque pass the 6 month limit, paid it in for me.

The only problem was that it wasn't a tax rebate for me... it was a fuel drawback and made payable to the flying group I was part of at the time. No one seemed to notice it being paid into a different account. (Yes, I did refund the group!)
My wife keeps getting 'repeat' cheques (because she doesn't 'cash' them) for a £25 premium bond win because she hasn't got a bank account to pay them into. She's explained to the premium bond people that a cheque is no good to her but they keep sending them.
By cockney steve
IIRC, the payee can sign the back of the cheque and then a third- party can pay it in to their own a/c,
Unless the cheque is endorsed on the face with 2 parallel (or reasonably so,) lines, with the words " A/c payee only " written in the space between them.

When I were a lad, only people of substance had a bank-account. we had a confectionery /tobacconist shop and it was common to cash cheques for regular customers, likewise the old white fivers, which had to be signed by the holder before passing them over. It was as difficult to pass a fiver ,in those days, as a fifty is today.
cockney steve wrote:IIRC, the payee can sign the back of the cheque and then a third- party can pay it in to their own a/c,
Unless the cheque is endorsed on the face with 2 parallel (or reasonably so,) lines, with the words " A/c payee only " written in the space between them.

Aren't most crossed a/c payee only, these days?
By riverrock
chevvron wrote:My wife keeps getting 'repeat' cheques (because she doesn't 'cash' them) for a £25 premium bond win because she hasn't got a bank account to pay them into. She's explained to the premium bond people that a cheque is no good to her but they keep sending them.

You can setup Premium Bonds to be auto-reinvested. Its an option within the website. Not sure how it works if they've already sent a cheque though.

However - a person without a bank account? Not sure I know any of those! Near impossible to live now without one.
If she doesn't want to manage one, why not setup a joint account, or turn your account into a joint account in both your names? My wife banks any cheques I get into our joint account as her time is more flexible and she works near a bank branch.