For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Boxkite
The last week I've been coming across eBay listings that are obvious scams and eBay themselves seem to be having their work cut out removing them as fast as they are appearing. I've seen similar before but not on this scale. The perps must have some kind of software that is repeatedly creating the listings en-mass.
They all seem to be based on existing compromised accounts and the auctions starts at £1 or 99p. These latest ones are supposedly located in "UK, Germany" and the 'seller' says that all bids will be removed unless first contact is made via an email address (which is depicted using an image not text).
The latest listings are for motorcycles, cars, and tons of farming machinery and there are thousands of them under one account.
I have contacted one account whose genuine phone was still listed as part of 'business' account and he said he was aware of his account being breached and that even after changing his password the listings were continuing (I was not sure if I believed that last bit).
The number of items listed under one account goes up and down with every refresh. There were over 2000 items on this account when I last looked:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/teresas100/m ... 7675.l2562
Just looked again and it went from 1947 items to 2116 in one second, and then 1882......
By dmarti32
I'd noticed that too, Two Ford Anglias and a Dolomite Sprint all listed for £1 from a seller who only sells leather sofas! Listings taken down & reappear from a different seller. I also advised the combine harvester guy that he had a plethora of classic cars on his listings. I dont get the scam, unless its hoovering up deposits paid by bank transfer.
By Lockhaven
The scam is you make contact and they offer to deal outside of ebay offering you a much reduced sale price on a product they don't own, once the gullible hand over the money they disappear.

I played a game with one of them who was advertising my car for sale, I made contact and requested a viewing before handing over any money. Surprise surprise viewings not available for every excuse under the sun, but they would deliver the car after payment was received and if there were any issues the money would be refunded. Yea right of course.

Eventually I let him know that I was actually living only a few miles from where he said the car was located and it wasn't a problem to call round view and hand over the cash, never heard from him again :lol:
Flyin'Dutch', Rob P, ArchaicRider and 1 others liked this