For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
#1766012
So .... here we are again and its decision time for us Aga folks.

The ambient temperature is close to being acceptable to turn the Aga off for a few months, but Mrs Avtur has asked for another week to make the most of her breadmaking supplies.

I've made a custom 'hood' to sit on top of the Aga which provides a suitable base for the electric tabletop oven and induction hob we use instead of the Aga. Also, we have gas BBQ which sits just outside the kitchen door and there are two microwaves in the kitchen.

The decision to turn the Aga off through the summer is a two-fold thing, The Aga has a 5Kw burner which runs 24/7 and consumes a lot of gas so turning it off, for say 5 months, has an obvious financial benefit. Also, the Aga bleeds a huge amount of heat into the house, which is no problem through the winter months, it is all part of the ambiance that having an Aga adds to the house. However in the warmer months, when ambient temperatures are in the high 'teens and above the Aga just makes the house oppressively hot.

So, we've had a chat and it will be turned off next weekend, our contribution to shareholders in 'NPower' will be significantly reduced. :lol:
#1766021
stevelup wrote:This may (or may not) be controversial but...

They are bliddy ridiculous things to be using in the 21st century....

5kW running 24x7 spilling unwanted heat into the property. Just bonkers.

Not to mention the cost of them. :shock:

I can only assume they continue to sell on their perceived fashionable status.
#1766032
stevelup wrote:They are bliddy ridiculous things to be using in the 21st century....

5kW running 24x7 spilling unwanted heat into the property. Just bonkers.


Tell me about it.

A couple of years ago we had to have some scaffolding put up on the Aga chimney, so I went up to the top to see what was up there. What staggered me was that the cowling was so hot that I couldn't touch it for more than a couple of seconds.

24 - 7 - 365, and for 29.75 years I have been wasting all of that heat. Scandalous.

Trouble is, we have no other source for cooking; and seeing as Mrs Me does 99% of the cooking, it is her train set and she LOVES it ... :pale:
#1766034
Miscellaneous wrote:I can only assume they continue to sell on their perceived fashionable status.

To be fair, we never bought ours - it came with the house. And being in a 14th century farmhouse kitchen, it is part of the furniture and not really a fashion item. After all, where would we have shoved the poorly lambs when they were struggling to survive postpartum? :wink:
#1766035
Colonel Panic wrote:
Miscellaneous wrote:I can only assume they continue to sell on their perceived fashionable status.

To be fair, we never bought ours - it came with the house. And being in a 14th century farmhouse kitchen, it is part of the furniture and not really a fashion item. After all, where would we have shoved the poorly lambs when they were struggling to survive postpartum? :wink:

I thought I was being fair in saying, 'continue to sell'... :wink:

If you had to replace it would you buy another? :D
Colonel Panic liked this
#1766040
Nor I, we looked at them 18 months or so ago and concluded it was a lot, lot more money for little, if any, benefit.

I'll confess to being disappointed. Having Scottish blood running through my veins there was only one choice irrespective of the disappointment. :D

Still haven't done the kitchen, of well! :roll:
#1766048
My word..... what a lot of domestic pussies we have turned into :mrgreen:

An AGA is, well, a bit of a way of life. I am sure we could do with a range stove or a built in electric oven/hob thing, but in our situation, we would be stuffed in winter. Our kitchen is 6m x 4m and as we have no central heating in the house (storage heaters, which are ace btw) we need the AGA to heat the kitchen.

Summer - well, here in Yarksheer, it seldom gets that warm, so if it gets more than tepid, we just open the doors and get a breeze through. The dogs go in and out during the day in any case.

Now, back to OP.

If you need other cooking sources, then an induction hob is very good, may need to change the odd pan or two.

Oven - well, there you have problems. A microwave just doesn't cut it, the grill bit above is mediocre.

If room heating isn't an issue, then it is time to research a swap for a Rangemaster or similar. About the same size and in your situation, sounds like a much better proposition.

OK, AGA cooking is something of an acquired taste, some get it and some tolerate it. We have been here for 23 years, so I guess we are adapterated to it. No, it doesn't do delicate, yes, it does some stuff really well, but if you are happy for 8 months of the year when it is cool, just man up and open a window or two... or three... or four.

Oh, and an electric AGA issues absolutely knack all heat from the chimbley. Complete recirculation except for a 3/4" vent from the ovens for cooking smells. The birds now complain that their touche doesn't get toasty on the chimney pot :thumleft:
#1766050
Trent772 wrote:My word..... what a lot of domestic pussies we have turned into :mrgreen:

An AGA is, well, a bit of a way of life. I am sure we could do with a range stove or a built in electric oven/hob thing, but in our situation, we would be stuffed in winter. Our kitchen is 6m x 4m and as we have no central heating in the house (storage heaters, which are ace btw) we need the AGA to heat the kitchen.

Summer - well, here in Yarksheer, it seldom gets that warm, so if it gets more than tepid, we just open the doors and get a breeze through. The dogs go in and out during the day in any case.

Well, if one compares the cost of an AGA to central heating then the costs are a little closer, but then only in tropical Yorkshire would a wuss be so desperate to heat his house would he look to a cooker to do so. :tongue: :wink:

Did I ever tell you about how we lived when I was a lad... :lol:
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
#1766068
We have an 2 ring induction hob and a Sharp combination microwave we use in summer.
We also have a Rayburn oil fired cooker, I converted to a pressure jet. This also runs the central heating. In the winter it runs all the time on a thermostat and keeps the house at a fair temperature. Sometimes heating and cooking needs a slight bit of juggling but once used to driving it, it is ok.
In the summer it comes on for 1 hour in the morning for breakfast and again in the evening and supplies domestic hot water. It is controlled by a normal central heating time switch controller but can easily be over ridden or advanced should need be.
It heats the kitchen a treat and try to set it so it provides background heat for the rest of the house. Also we get the cooking free! We have a couple of woodburners to compliment it should they be needed.
The downside is we can't get near it for the dogs! You see they think they own it.

Nick
Flyin'Dutch' liked this