For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
Miscellaneous wrote:Well, if one compares the cost of an AGA to central heating then the costs are a little closer, but then only in tropical Yorkshire would a wuss be so desperate to heat his house would he look to a cooker to do so. :tongue: :wink:

Did I ever tell you about how we lived when I was a lad... :lol:

Tee Hee !

Footprint of the house is 1782, was rebuilt in early 70's to then modern code but no central heating. We moved in 24 years ago and have enjoyed the system ever since and don't miss central heating. AGA does the kitchen and upstairs bedroom, the log stove in the other end (think row of workers cottages converted) heats the lounge and our bedroom.

It was an oil AGA to begin with but as the oil got worse and worse - no good sulphurous compounds, we converted to electric using the simple replace the Don burner with an electric element and recirc everything. The chap who did the conversion said you will get your AGA 'back'. He wasn't wrong, it is spot on now. We do have a 4kw solar in the paddock which helps and when I sell the RV12, I will be putting another 4kw and a Tesla Powerbank in..

Had to get the RV12 ref in :pirat: :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
Nick liked this
We are an all electric household, I currently pay £370 a month for electricity and that includes Economy 7.

So, a 4kw install is about 4k, a Powerwall is around 6k, so with bits and pieces, we say 11k.

Do I get it back in full - not sure, do I have the ability to survive power cuts - yes, because the latest Powerwall and gubbins that goes with it will reverse power your PV controller and enable your PV to still generate when you in a power cut.

I ain't an off grid eco warrior, far from it, I like burning fossil fuels, but based on a 10 year period, my electricity consumption would be a fraction of what I pay now, so I think it would be worth it.

Have a look at Rob Llewellyn's YouTube show Fully Charged. Lots of good stuff besides cars.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
Trent772 wrote:We are an all electric household, I currently pay £370 a month for electricity and that includes Economy 7.

Ouch! :shock:

Trent772 wrote:So, a 4kw install is about 4k, a Powerwall is around 6k, so with bits and pieces, we say 11k.

Cheers, it's a while since I did the calcs, however the last time I did it was touch and go whether the money ever came back. I was left scratching my head at some of the more mature, shall we say, purchasers. Factoring in the possibility of moving house I just couldn't get it to work financially. Might be worth having another look since no element of the equation will be the same. Of course clearly it is not all about costs :thumright:
Jim Jones wrote:This thread indicates a need to create a sub diagnosis, ‘Aga syndrome’.

... and we could call the evident expert guru 'Aga Khan' ? :)
Nick, Flyin'Dutch' liked this
I asked an eco systems salesman on the benefits of solar panels - he said that he was not recommending solar as they would “never play for themselves”. He added that they were ok for a feelgood factor and that was all. I thanked him for his honesty. That’s why I went for wind power which returned £12 per day over the last quarter. About 14% on investment.
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Trent772 wrote:We are an all electric household, I currently pay £370 a month for electricity and that includes Economy 7.

So, a 4kw install is about 4k, a Powerwall is around 6k, so with bits and pieces, we say 11k.

£370 pm ?Holy poo!

our entire monthly power bill for gas and elec is £240 and I'm building up a massive credit because EDF aren't sending out (overdue) bills, despite my sending readings on time.

We watched the house being built and it is massively insulated with underfloor heating which barely needs to tick over in the summer.

'Er indoors (very briefly) mused after an Aga but the builder/developer said forget it.

He did however try to sell us £10k's worth of solar panels but at our age I figured we would never get our money back.

We rejected ground source heat pump for the same reason ,incl massive electricity bill from the pump itself and the noise and space taken up.

And despite some massive winter winds its usually flat calm in this part of E Anglia.

Interestingly the Quooker (£900 fitted) has paid for itself in elec savings.

Peter
Time to renew my storage tank then. We have snow to get yet - May is always a turbulent month, therefore I’ll be keeping the CH ticking over. Na’er cast a clout ‘n all that.
The May is nowhere near being in flower yet.