Non aviation content. Play nice – No religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Korenwolf
About time too! It was getting to the stage where I was considering raising a protest at the use of fossil fuel powered vehicles in the Cambs Police fleet and going to dig up the lawn at their HQ.... :)
By johnm
We need more and more disruptive protest in the UK it’s required to be consistent with all the other 1970 throwbacks
By Miscellaneous
I can't help but wonder if the economic impact of Coronavirus, particularly on aviation and related businesses, will register with XR types causing them to reassess their demands? :?
By Miscellaneous
Cessna571 wrote:I know a real XR person. He’s quite pleased with the impact so far.

He’s hoping this leads to a “society reset” with no aircraft etc.

And they have the audacity to accuse others of being selfish? :roll:
By kanga
Serendipitously, I (on the basis of no pertinent knowledge, I emphasise) had been wondering rather the opposite: whether those hitherto antipathetic or neutral towards the XR aspirations (not necessarily their tactics and rhetoric) might now be starting to be more sympathetic. People in the 'developed' world who are now:

- forced to live without buying stuff (made a long way away out of materials themselves transported long distances) which they don't really need, such as new clothes, or with the motivation to do so because they're not mixing socially; and
- unable to buy in the supermarkets what a couple of decades ago would have been exotic or unseasonal produce but has recently been routinely stocked year round (because it has been arriving in spare freight space in lots of intercontinental passenger aircraft, which are no longer flying);
- unable or unwilling to take or plan to take foreign leisure travel;
- able to work remotely from home online with colleagues nearby or a world away;
- unable to get medical or even basic hygiene supplies (drugs, protective equipment, cleaning products for bodies and objects, paper and plastic household disposables ..) because they discover it's all now made a long way away, and the more local or the wealthier are having priority ..

.. may start to wonder whether their former lifestyle (including disposable wealth, for those who have it) was really so great after all ..
Morten, Cowshed, Rob P liked this
By kanga
Miscellaneous wrote:..

Are you missing the seriousness of the situation?

not in the least; I was merely wondering if the serious situation would change some attitudes among some of the hitherto 'comfortably uninterested'
By Miscellaneous
kanga wrote:
Miscellaneous wrote:..

Are you missing the seriousness of the situation?

not in the least; I was merely wondering if the serious situation would change some attitudes among some of the hitherto 'comfortably uninterested'

My difficulty is in understanding how those comfortably uninterested would become supportive as a consequence of having their lives made immeasurably uncomfortable.

The only interest I can see it creating is an opposition to the activities of XR.
By Paul_Sengupta
I don't think it'll change sympathies for XR, but I think it will change attitudes to working from home.

I started working from home some years ago when our office was being refurbished - we were encouraged to work from home due to lack of office space, even to the point where we could get chairs delivered to the house and so on. Anyway, for quite a few of us, when we had a chance to go back to the office, we decided we didn't really need to and carried on working from home.
kanga, Charliesixtysix liked this
By skydriller
The fact that it is older people in the most at risk group, quite frankly, currently not being allowed to travel has made me appreciate how much of the world I have yet to see and that I want to do it sooner rather than later ... because there may not be a later...

Regards, SD..
JAFO liked this