Non aviation content. Play nice – No religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By johnm
Miscellaneous wrote:And how would you compare them?

Very hard to say as how it's been hung and for how long makes a big difference in my experience, diet also makes a difference. Overall I think Roe is a bit more tender and a bit sweeter in flavour as you'd expect from a smaller animal. A bit like Aberdeen Angus versus Dexter :-)
By eltonioni
johnm wrote:and a very merry Christmas to you I hope you enjoy your industrial supermarket turkey while I'm enjoying locally shot venison :twisted:

Perhaps you mean sustainably farmed poultry, as opposed to shooting a massive animal with a sniper rifle from a hundred yards while pretending it's man vs beast "sport"? :twisted:

Otherwise, Merry Christmas! :D :thumleft:
By johnm
eltonioni wrote:
johnm wrote:and a very merry Christmas to you I hope you enjoy your industrial supermarket turkey while I'm enjoying locally shot venison :twisted:

Perhaps you mean sustainably farmed poultry, as opposed to shooting a massive animal with a sniper rifle from a hundred yards while pretending it's man vs beast "sport"? :twisted:

Otherwise, Merry Christmas! :D :thumleft:

As deer have no other natural predators it's very important for the health of the species that I eat a few :D

Off to welcome the villagers coming round for mulled wine and mince pies now. Merry Christmasd :thumright:
By Bill Haddow
Miscellaneous wrote:And is it the case, Bill, is it better than Red? I've never tried.

Used to be the tradition when I was younger to have steak pie just after the bells. Whether it was tradition to have it then, or my mother ensuring my stomach was lined before heading out I'm not so sure. :D

In my opinion, yes, roe is better. Steak pie is an excellent base for carousing.

Bill H
By Miscellaneous
Bill Haddow wrote:In my opinion, yes, roe is better.

Thanks Bill, I've been told the difference is much as @johnm describes. Must ask the butcher if he does roe deer.
By Miscellaneous
@kanga doing that may have a bigger negative impact on the farming community than a positive one on the deer populations. It has certainly been talked about often and in fact I think the heir of the MFI fortune did have a go in the Highlands. Not something I can see greater benefit than cons from.
kanga, johnm liked this
By Rob P
kanga wrote:.. a case for reintroducing .... lynx ? :)

A very strong one.

It was proposed for our local forest but somehow fell by the wayside.

Another victory for the wholly useless Liz Truss

https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/environmen ... -1-4583805

Rob P
kanga liked this
By eltonioni
kanga wrote:
johnm wrote:..

As deer have no other natural predators..

[slightly back on topic since it relates to sustainability ? :wink: ]

.. a case for reintroducing wolves and lynx ? :)

Tiger -v- Monbiot

Now there's a successor to Love Island!
By johnm
Reintroductions need care as the balances are not obvious. Reintroducing wild boar to the Forest of Dean had caused chaos until man became a predator there too and it started appearing in farmers' markets :-) It's wise to remember that man has always been a top predator.
By johnm
@eltonioni I think I know who Monbiot is but I have no idea what Love Island is, so I'm afraid I completely missed your point....
By Rob P
eltonioni wrote:Perhaps you mean sustainably farmed poultry, as opposed to shooting a massive animal with a sniper rifle from a hundred yards while pretending it's man vs beast "sport"?

I think you may be confusing woodland population control and venison farming (The most natural and least cruel meat farming) with trophy stalking in the Highlands?

Rob P
johnm liked this
By eltonioni
Rob P wrote:
eltonioni wrote:Perhaps you mean sustainably farmed poultry, as opposed to shooting a massive animal with a sniper rifle from a hundred yards while pretending it's man vs beast "sport"?

I think you may be confusing woodland population control and venison farming (The most natural and least cruel meat farming) with trophy stalking in the Highlands?

Rob P

Yes.