Non aviation content. Play nice – No religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By simon32
Better cancel the cruise then…
The diesel power plant of the fated Costa Concordia had a rated output of 76.6 MW.
and wind turbines require maintenance.
Simon
By johnm
As we keep saying there's no free lunch and it needs a coherent planned approach to minimise emissions, environmental damage and pollution and maximise adaptation. That is basically what the protestors are demanding.
By Rob P
Please people. Keep it civil, there's no need to descend into slanging.

Can I suggest the middle way lies in the age-old aviation rule "Fly the aircraft all the way to the crash"?

We may well be headed for disaster, but that's no excuse for taking hands and feet off the controls, folding our arms and waiting for impact.

Waggle the stick, juggle the throttle, do something, however futile it might appear. It just 'might' make a difference.

Rob P
johnm, kanga liked this
By simon32
Every little bit helps
Harmony of the Seas is 20 percent more energy efficient than her sister ships Oasis of the Seas and Allure of the Seas. Small air bubbles from the keel reduce drag and thus fuel consumption by 7 to 8 percent, and a smooth hull surface further reduces resistance. The bubble system also reduces propeller noise, and is used on Celebrity Reflection and Quantum of the Seas. LED and fluorescent lamps replace incandescent light bulbs, reducing power consumption and need for air conditioning. The engine system uses a waste heat recovery system, and drives three Azipod propellers.
From Wikipedia, the diesel power is supplied by
4 × 14,400 kW (19,300 hp) Wärtsilä 12V46F
2 × 19,200 kW (25,700 hp) Wärtsilä 16V46F
Simon
johnm liked this
By Cessna571
Rob P wrote:Please people. Keep it civil, there's no need to descend into slanging.

Can I suggest the middle way lies in the age-old aviation rule "Fly the aircraft all the way to the crash"?

We may well be headed for disaster, but that's no excuse for taking hands and feet off the controls, folding our arms and waiting for impact.

Waggle the stick, juggle the throttle, do something, however futile it might appear. It just 'might' make a difference.

Rob P

That’s the wrong analogy.

The engine has cut out and the passenger is very angry about it and SCREAMING at you to “do something”.

The passenger has no idea how to fly the plane or what to do, but they are going to scream at you till you sort it out.

Worse than that, they are telling the other passengers to scream and jump up and down

The fuel has run out and you need to change tanks, you’re not sure how to do this as if you do a different group of passengers will go nuts instead.

Then...

One of the passengers gets out a yoghurt pot and starts washing it up.

You ask them if they think that’s going to help.

At this point they also get very angry at you, after all, they’re doing THEIR BIT and you’re doing nothing.

You ask again “Yes, but think about this logically for a minute, we are about to crash, do you think it’ll help?”

They don’t like that question, they go back to washing their yoghurt pot.

You go back to wondering if there is a way to stop the crash.
Flyingfemme liked this
By eltonioni
If only there were some compelling reasons to make China the target of XR action.

When Florence Widdicombe opened a box of Tesco charity Christmas cards to send them to her friends, the six-year-old schoolgirl from Tooting, south London, was startled to find that one of them had already been used. The card, featuring a kitten in a Santa hat, contained a despairing message from a Chinese gulag.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/tesc ... -v9psp9fqx

By johnm
I don't think China is very popular with XR but experience in Hong Kong suggests they might be better occupied in dealing with issues where governments might possess ears. There is no prospect of getting the Chinese government's attention through XR efforts, not even the major players at the UN can manage that yet.
By Miscellaneous
johnm wrote:There is no prospect of getting the Chinese government's attention through XR efforts, not even the major players at the UN can manage that yet.

Agreed, which makes their efforts a total waste of time beyond, what some would argue, is a filling of the gap till the next thing to complain about. :wink:
By johnm
Miscellaneous wrote:
johnm wrote:There is no prospect of getting the Chinese government's attention through XR efforts, not even the major players at the UN can manage that yet.

Agreed, which makes their efforts a total waste of time beyond, what some would argue, is a filling of the gap till the next thing to complain about. :wink:

I think it's very important for them to complain (and so should the rest of us), they might not get the direct attention of the Chinese but they might encourage others in various governments to continue to keep the pressure on China and others, indirect impact is no less valuable than direct impact.
By Miscellaneous
johnm wrote:I think it's very important for them to complain...

That goes without saying, John, given you are an advocate for civil disobedience of any kind, for any excuse. :wink:

Just a shame your ears are deaf to their specific complaints. :D
By johnm
Miscellaneous wrote:
johnm wrote:I think it's very important for them to complain...

That goes without saying, John, given you are an advocate for civil disobedience of any kind, for any excuse. :wink:

Just a shame your ears are deaf to their specific complaints. :D

and a very merry Christmas to you I hope you enjoy your industrial supermarket turkey while I'm enjoying locally shot venison :twisted:
Miscellaneous liked this
By Miscellaneous
johnm wrote:...and a very merry Christmas to you I hope you enjoy your industrial supermarket turkey while I'm enjoying locally shot venison :twisted:

A very Merry Christmas to your good self and your nearest and dearest, John. :D

Turkey it will be, one day at least, it will come from the local butcher who is coming out to the shop to meet me tomorrow night as I travel back from Glasgow late. I've just to give him a call. How's that for service? :thumright:

Half a dozen lobster delivered to the door by the fisherman who caught them will be enjoyed on another day.

As for venison, it's my favourite red meat, now only if I knew how to shoot I could have one of the Roe deer (apparently it is even better than red) that frequents the garden. Next door stopped putting pics of them on FB due to some locals threatening to come round and do just that. :D

Enjoy your venison. :thumright:
By Bill Haddow
Miscellaneous wrote:
. . . As for venison, it's my favourite red meat, now only if I knew how to shoot I could have one of the Roe deer (apparently it is even better than red) . . .

I'm using Roe venison for my traditional Ne'erday steak pie :-D

Bill H
johnm liked this
By Miscellaneous
And is it the case, Bill, is it better than Red? I've never tried.

Used to be the tradition when I was younger to have steak pie just after the bells. Whether it was tradition to have it then, or my mother ensuring my stomach was lined before heading out I'm not so sure. :D
By johnm
We only have a few farmed Reds round here so most of the venison we get is Roe.