Non aviation content. Play nice – No religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By PaulB
Spooky wrote:Corbyn declares Greta Thunberg is an ‘ignorant brainwashed child being abused by adults’

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/jere ... 25046.html

Hmmm... click the link and it says this (the bold is mine)

"Jeremy Corbyn’s brother Piers labels teen climate activist Greta Thunberg an ‘ignorant brainwashed child’"
By Spooky
johnm wrote:
Spooky wrote:Corbyn declares Greta Thunberg is an ‘ignorant brainwashed child being abused by adults’

It's a mystery to me why adults feel the need put down youngsters, especially when they are espousing worthy causes.....

Can’t say I agree with the language of Piers, however I don’t think it’s right for political movements to hide behind children and use them as a shield from criticism.
By johnm
Spooky wrote:
Can’t say I agree with the language of Piers, however I don’t think it’s right for political movements to hide behind children and use them as a shield from criticism.

Young Greta isn't being used as a shield by anyone, more spokesman I should think!
PaulB liked this
By PaulB
Irrespective of who is driving who, are we all agreed that we, as a country, and all other countries need to do *something*?

If so, what?
By johnm
PaulB wrote:Irrespective of who is driving who, are we all agreed that we, as a country, and all other countries need to do *something*?

If so, what?

Here’s a few to start on....

Change diet, so more plant less meat
Move to lower impact agriculture and horticulture
Use less fossil fuels and contain greenhouse gas emissions from industrial processes
Develop renewable energy sources, especially local microgen
Put high energy consuming data centres in places where they consume lower quantities of energy which can come from renewables
By Spooky
PaulB wrote:Irrespective of who is driving who, are we all agreed that we, as a country, and all other countries need to do *something*?

If so, what?

I think using a carrot rather than a stick would help. Plus deciding what renewables are actually useful and effective rather than jumping back and forth with plans for things like nuclear.

Funding effective methods of reusing or disposing of nuclear waste would be the best way forward.
By eltonioni
johnm wrote:

It's a mystery to me why adults feel the need put down youngsters, especially when they are espousing worthy causes.....

Perhaps, just perhaps, they are treating her like an adult.
By johnm
Funding effective methods of reusing or disposing of nuclear waste would be the best way forward.

I don’t know much about this but I do know that waste from the earlier installations is especially horrible because they weren’t power stations they were nuclear bomb factories using surplus energy to generate electricity. I have heard that later waste is less horrible and can be reprocessed sensibly. Maybe @Bill McCarthy can explain more.
Spooky liked this
By Spooky
johnm wrote:

I don’t know much about this but I do know that waste from the earlier installations is especially horrible because they weren’t power stations they were nuclear bomb factories using surplus energy to generate electricity. I have heard that later waste is less horrible and can be reprocessed sensibly. Maybe @Bill McCarthy can explain more.

Wasn’t aware of that, interesting!

https://whatisnuclear.com/recycling.html

Found the above intriguing as well, hadn’t realised that the waste could be reused in another reactor.

Only thing I’d be concerned about is having it built on the cheap as usual :|
By skydriller
JoeC wrote: to a Parisian woman

Well, that was the problem right there...Parisians aren't exactly known for tolerance when it comes to anyone from outside Paris, let alone France ... :lol:

Regards, SD..
GrahamB liked this
By Bill McCarthy
Every spent fuel module from submarine reactors from the early 60s still reside in ponds at Selafield because no method has yet been devised to recycle the stuff. They are still producing decay heat. Boats in those days had to refuel every three years or so, now the core lasts for the boat life (20 odd years). The reactor system itself is a very simple piece of kit, can drive a boat round the world on a few grams of fuel - at end of life there is actually 95% of the original fuel left but can’t be used because burnt fuel isotopes absorb or prevent further activity or chain reactions. It it all goes wrong however, look out. You can read up on the SL1 accident, or the Three Mile Island one. PWR reactors are all similar in design even the one at Sizewell B - manned by many ex submariners.
Spooky, Sooty25 liked this
By PaulB
Bill McCarthy wrote:Every spent fuel module from submarine reactors from the early 60s still reside in ponds at Selafield because no method has yet been devised to recycle the stuff. They are still producing decay heat.

What happens to that heat? are there not ways these days of storing it it up and using it elsewhere. (I guess that question also applies to loads of other sources of heat too?)