Non aviation content. Play nice – No religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Chris Martyr
PaulB wrote:Do you know, I think she'd probably reel a load of facts off.

Good ! Because once she starts to "probably" reel a load of facts off , then the politicians in the countries which are DEFINITELY making the biggest contributions to all this , may "probably " give her a bit of credibility.

But I'm not holding my breath on this one though .

,,,was that nearly a pun .
By Chris Martyr
PaulB wrote: When you were a teenager, did you not have a hobby that you were obsessed with

Oh Yes,,,,,, :D now pay attention now Paul . :D

I've already told you that I went off to Sweden on a SAS DC-8 in 1972 now haven't I .

I was an expert in 'environmental studies' . .... :thumright: :thumright: :thumright:

Y'know when you get that feeling that some annoying kid is trying to tell you something you do already know ?

Well , that's the feeling I'm getting now .
Last edited by Chris Martyr on Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Spooky
stevelup wrote:
malcolmfrost wrote:What language should we English speakers learn that would give us more opportunities than English?

Nothing wrong with English, it's just that none of the younger generation seems to give a damn about using it properly any more. A combination of awful Americanisms like using like every other like word, starting sentences with so... the list goes on.

And* don't get me started on punctuation and grammar. It seems that 50% of the population don't even understand the difference between there, their and they're any more. There has to be something fundamentally wrong with the education system. I blame the EU**

* nothing wrong with starting a sentence with a conjunction... Hmm... Does that invalidate my moaning about starting sentences with so? Bu66er.

** only joking

High rising intonation and vocal fry irritates me :lol:
By kanga
apparently supportive art, possibly from 'Banksy'

https://www.itv.com/news/2019-04-26/pos ... sts-close/

.. and a couple of rather grumpier views from 'Oldie' contributors:

https://www.theoldie.co.uk/blog/the-idi ... a-thunberg

https://www.theoldie.co.uk/blog/what-do ... ally-think
By PaulB
Spooky wrote:Are the bookies taking bets on ‘climate catastrophe’ within 20 years? Tempted on a long term bet that it won’t happen :mrgreen:

Of course it won't because lots of clever people will do lots of stuff to make sure that it doesn't (like the millennium bug but on a much bigger scale!!)
By Spooky
PaulB wrote:
Spooky wrote:Are the bookies taking bets on ‘climate catastrophe’ within 20 years? Tempted on a long term bet that it won’t happen :mrgreen:

Of course it won't because lots of clever people will do lots of stuff to make sure that it doesn't (like the millennium bug but on a much bigger scale!!)

I’m just thinking back to 1995 where it was guaranteed that we’d run out of oil and much of the UK would be under water by 2005 if we didn’t reduce greenhouse emissions. Regret not placing a bet on that one :P
By Paul_Sengupta
Chris Martyr wrote:,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and on a lighter note,,,,
malcolmfrost wrote: spoke French ( or my version) to the waiter and he was most miffed and said “I can speak English!”

Malcolm , I have also been in exactly that predicament too whilst in France .. :D

I really need some kind French speaker to tell me the French equivalent of "thank f*** for that" in French...... :D :D

Why? By that time you've already ascertained that the other person speaks English.
By JoeC
I made the mistake of absentmindedly speaking English to a Parisian woman without a polite French precursor when asking to take a chair from her table in an outside cafe. She was NOT happy at my (admittedly stupid) presumption that she could speak English. The perfectly spoken English vitriol she spouted in my direction was proof enough. And she did let me take the chair. :oops:
PaulB, Spooky liked this
By kanga

I'd be tempted to put any offer on odds in same category of likely payout in the event (as opposed to non-event) as the reported advertisement in the US at the height of the 'imminent Soviet nuclear attack' scares of the '50s: a DIY back garden nuclear fallout shelter with a money-back guarantee .. in the event of such a catastrophe, what bookmaker is going still to be around and solvent ?
:roll:
Spooky liked this
By Spooky
JoeC wrote:I made the mistake of absentmindedly speaking English to a Parisian woman without a polite French precursor when asking to take a chair from her table in an outside cafe. She was NOT happy at my (admittedly stupid) presumption that she could speak English. The perfectly spoken English vitriol she spouted in my direction was proof enough. And she did let me take the chair. :oops:

I *points at chair* need *makes odd hand gesture* Le chair *smiles* silver plate

:wink: :wink:
skydriller liked this
By Spooky
kanga wrote:

I'd be tempted to put any offer on odds in same category of likely payout in the event (as opposed to non-event) as the reported advertisement in the US at the height of the 'imminent Soviet nuclear attack' scares of the '50s: a DIY back garden nuclear fallout shelter with a money-back guarantee .. in the event of such a catastrophe, what bookmaker is going still to be around and solvent ?
:roll:

I remember the WW2 ‘air raid shelter’ in my nan’s garden (she lived near what used to be M&B brewery in Birmingham). It would have collapsed if someone leaned on it :lol: