Non aviation content. Play nice – No religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.

Moderator: Flyin'Dutch'

By Chris Martyr
Sooty25 wrote: It is no big deal that she is fluent!.

Quite correct Sooty .

In my dafter younger years , I had quite a strong connection with Sweden [ :wink: ] . In fact my first visit there was in 1972 in an SAS DC-8 .
They learn English there from a very young age and are as keen as mustard to do so because it looks cool if you can sing along to UK/US bands , watch English speaking telly without sub-titles and if you take up ANY sort of career , you will need English.
As a matter of fact , if you can't speak it , you're seen as a bit of a 'dumskalle' amongst your peers.

So Greta is no exception on that front .

I knew virtually nothing of her until she was on R4 a few days back . I formed an opinion then and nothing I have seen or heard since has changed that . Quite the opposite in fact !

It would be interesting if a certain Mr J. Paxman was to interview her . Just how long it would take before he fixed that frightening 'Paxman sideways glare' on her and said :

"Now Greta , can I have some hard facts and figures please , not just cliché's" .
By Chris Martyr
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and on a lighter note,,,,
malcolmfrost wrote: spoke French ( or my version) to the waiter and he was most miffed and said “I can speak English!”

Malcolm , I have also been in exactly that predicament too whilst in France .. :D

I really need some kind French speaker to tell me the French equivalent of "thank f*** for that" in French...... :D :D
By malcolmfrost
The frustrating thing is I can mostly get by with day to day stuff but don’t get as much practice now!
It’s when you have a car smash that you realise knowing what a pamplemousse is doesn’t cut i. :o
johnm liked this
By johnm
I really need some kind French speaker to tell me the French equivalent of "thank f*** for that" in French...... :D :D

Tried Google translate? :D
By stevelup
malcolmfrost wrote:What language should we English speakers learn that would give us more opportunities than English?

Nothing wrong with English, it's just that none of the younger generation seems to give a damn about using it properly any more. A combination of awful Americanisms like using like every other like word, starting sentences with so... the list goes on.

And* don't get me started on punctuation and grammar. It seems that 50% of the population don't even understand the difference between there, their and they're any more. There has to be something fundamentally wrong with the education system. I blame the EU**

* nothing wrong with starting a sentence with a conjunction... Hmm... Does that invalidate my moaning about starting sentences with so? Bu66er.

** only joking
johnm liked this
By kanga
malcolmfrost wrote:...
What language should we English speakers learn that would give us more opportunities than English?

In some parts of the world, notably in Asia and Africa, young entrepreneurs are already voting with their wallets, paying for private language tuition, choosing Mandarin over English. I don't feel competent to guess whether or when the same may become true in Europe including UK. :roll:

Too late for me, though; it's a distinct gap in my repertoire. I have no ear for tones, so chose to learn Japanese instead.
johnm liked this
By johnm
@Sooty25 my comments were aimed at the wider body of critics.

Oh, on the subject of the environment, I assume you are now grounding the TB20, and no longer travelling across europe to go skiing, or are you exempt?

I once ran a carbon offset model I can no longer find and apparently the trees in the wood absorb most of the CO2 we produce :D

The rest of you can plant your own :D
By PaulB
Chris Martyr wrote:I knew virtually nothing of her until she was on R4 a few days back . I formed an opinion then and nothing I have seen or heard since has changed that . Quite the opposite in fact !

...and what was that opinion?

It would be interesting if a certain Mr J. Paxman was to interview her . Just how long it would take before he fixed that frightening 'Paxman sideways glare' on her and said :

"Now Greta , can I have some hard facts and figures please , not just cliché's" .

Do you know, I think she'd probably reel a load of facts off. When you were a teenager, did you not have a hobby that you were obsessed with and just devoured all information about it?
johnm liked this
By Chris Martyr
PaulB wrote:...and what was that opinion?

Paul . I know from your other posts that you are an intelligent , thinking man . :D

I believe that my previous posts on here probably reflect my feelings regarding carbon emissions and the environment we all live in . I cannot for a second think that any of the other contributors on here would disagree with my stance , your stance , or any of the other good guys who contribute here .

One of Greta's attributes is that apparently , she can see through bulls**t .

Strangely enough though , that also happens to be one of mine .

And I've got nearly fifty years on her . :D