Non aviation content. Play nice – No religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By eltonioni
Excellent levels of awareness of a global issue, but shocking levels of local prioritisation since the UK is 1% of global emissions.

IIRC China has an embassy in London, but of course China is the one nation that tried to tackle the actual cause of the impending environmental catastrophe - overpopulation.

But when the middle class intelligentsia are taking their four kids to climate change protests who dares mention it to them? Even George Monbiot is strangely reluctant to talk about it.
Dman, KeithM liked this
By Bill Haddow
I'm surprised that so many people were able to get time off work to take part,

As for the schoolchildren's "strike" and demos, I'm sure they'd have a much better turnout if they scheduled them for 8am on Saturdays.

Just my 0.8333r newpenceworth.

Bill H
By Dave W
This thread could verge on breaching the "No Politics" rule, and so we are keeping an eye on it.

I have removed one post which did move away from the main subject into a party politics point and so crossed the line.
eltonioni liked this
By OCB
Dave W wrote:This thread could verge on breaching the "No Politics" rule, and so we are keeping an eye on it.

I have removed one post which did move away from the main subject into a party politics point and so crossed the line.

Yeah, mine - but Extinction Rebellion is a political action aimed at getting politicians to do something.

My post was absolutely non partisan, and agreed with the fact that Red/Blue party politics + the UK constitution isn’t designed to cope with “boiling the frog” issues such as climate change.

No point having a post at all on ER if the root cause analysis points directly at E.R and her Upper and Lower house, no?
By PaulB
Dave W wrote:This thread could verge on breaching the "No Politics" rule, and so we are keeping an eye on it.

The trouble is that pretty much everything in the world is political at its root, so any subject to so easily veer off that way.

IMO, the problem isn't so much politics as our collective inability to respect others' views and when we challenge them, doing so respectfully.

Empathy, again......
By OCB
Would be curious to have the collective input of the fellow forumites whether my post crossed the line or not. I know I can be annoying sometimes, but I try hard not to cross the line.

That would mean Mods would have to undelete the post, and not even sure if that’s possible here.

If not, fair enough- Mods are juggling angels on a pin head after all, and rarely thanked for their efforts!
By PaulB
OCB wrote:Would be curious to have the collective input of the fellow forumites whether my post crossed the line or not. I know I can be annoying sometimes, but I try hard not to cross the line.

So do I, but have also failed.... probably because I don't know where the line is.
By OCB
Bill Haddow wrote:
OCB wrote:juggling angels on a pin head

Hey, nae religion, ye've been tell't :naughty:

Bill H

Hahaha. Just had my fellow commuters just look at me like I’m a right muppet for laughing out loud!

Pure dead brilliant, pal :lol:
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By Bill McCarthy
Why don’t the police just leave them glued to handrails etc and let them literally chill out overnight. Definitely, in the House of Commons where they could have kept their own lot freeing them. Have they no jobs to go to. If any glue themselves to my tractor I’d be sorely tempted to drive on regardless and let them run on alongside.
By PaulB
The campaigners want the UK government to reduce carbon emissions to zero economy by 2025.

(a) What does that actually mean?

(b) is it remotely achievable?

and (c) is this not a global issue (where the UK is actually a bit part player)?
By riverrock
Presumably a carbon neutral country. So we capture / convert back to O2 as much CO2 as we produce.
Achievable by 2025 - no.
Global issue - yes - and although we are a bit part player, we have the world's 6th largest importer.
We could use that to tax any imports based on the carbon they have output (including transport and manufacture) which would push to reduce the carbon affect by other countries.

We are the 5th largest GDP so we could tax carbon emissions to also provide incentive to reduce internal emissions. Since we are the 17th largest CO producer in the world from fossil fuels, reducing or capturing that would make a difference.

If we build new technology to help reduce & capture emissions, we could also sell that to other countries.

We need to be part of the solution.