For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By JoeC
Miscellaneous wrote:I'm torn on the employment issue.

Difficult, but...

We are too tolerant of the intolerant.

We have kids in this country being named Hitler with their parents dressing up as KKK. Other kids are being kept out of school because the national curriculum teaches them that being gay is normal.

These are future adults who will be in our communities,

As much as I'd like too I simply can't reach out to them and have a nice chat with them to change their minds.

All I can do is bang a drum , make some noise and support an environment that does not accept this bigotry when it is flagged.

Its not groupthink or the thought police, it's common decency.
By Dave W
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Ok, for "wrongthink" read "wrongspeak". The point stands, and a statement misattributed to Voltaire applies.

Challenge the idea: Do not immediately punish the person.

Not least because one day, in such an environment, that person might be us.

PS
JoeC wrote:We are too tolerant of the intolerant.

Yes, indeed, and that was my point.
Pete L liked this
By eltonioni
Miscellaneous wrote:to condemn others to a fictitious place

I'd like to see you try. ;)

I'm struggling not to laugh at the ridiculousness of outrage from atheists at a sportsman's suggestion of inquisition style post mortem punishments.
OCB liked this
By Paultheparaglider
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:If Falou or Trump were to do it on Twitter idolators would assume that it would be OK to hold those views and a small number might execute the actions espoused.

One man's freedom of speech is another man's incitement of hatred.

And yes, being in the public eye does confer additional responsibilities.

Wasn't there another deeply religious public persona that took advantage of his position of authority to condemn a group to hell recently?

Flyin'Dutch' wrote:What he did say that that there will be a special place in hell for those who promoted Brexit without preparation.

When the caps fits and all that.

I do hope that Brexit supporters are not going to get weak at the knees because some who they don't like for what he does and says, did doe and say something they don't like. Surely no surprises here?

In fairness to Tusk, at least he had the sense not to condemn drunkards.

:wink:
By JoeC
eltonioni wrote:I'm struggling not to laugh at the ridiculousness of outrage from atheists at a sportsman's suggestion of inquisition style post mortem punishments.

Well, you can smirk all you like but the gay community have been telling us for decades of the genuine hurt, pain and suffering they have endured in the environment created by such public opinions.
kanga, Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Paultheparaglider wrote:Wasn't there another deeply religious public persona that took advantage of his position of authority to condemn a group to hell recently?

[......]

In fairness to Tusk, at least he had the sense not to condemn drunkards.

:wink:

I don't know if Tusk is deeply religious, is he?

He did, however the group condemned was not a group with members who are part of that group by virtue of their age, race, religion, gender, colour, nationality or sexual orientation.

And whilst I agree with his sentiment, I would not have been surprised if he'd had been ticked off for stating that as it was not very statesman like.
By eltonioni
JoeC wrote:
eltonioni wrote:I'm struggling not to laugh at the ridiculousness of outrage from atheists at a sportsman's suggestion of inquisition style post mortem punishments.

Well, you can smirk all you like but the gay community have been telling us for decades of the genuine hurt, pain and suffering they have endured in the environment created by such public opinions.

You should try being ginger.
By eltonioni
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:That's just trolling.

Nope. Innate personal feature that attracts "genuine hurt, pain and suffering". Try being the ginger kid in class.

Look, the point is that there's suddenly a massive hoohaa from people who have no skin in the game, but have decided that they have some interest in being offended or are trying too hard to be an "ally" to persons unknown and unidentified. It is beyond ridiculous that so much emotional energy is being invested in something so meaningless. It's virtue signalling by people who don't see the irony in them attacking somebody for expressing an opinion that's a product of their upbringing. - an innate a feature as being gay or having ginger hair.

A little more genuine empathy instead of pointless outrage would make the world a nicer place.
riverrock, flybymike, skydriller and 2 others liked this
By Paultheparaglider
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:I don't know if Tusk is deeply religious, is he?

He did, however the group condemned was not a group with members who are part of that group by virtue of their age, race, religion, gender, colour, nationality or sexual orientation.

And whilst I agree with his sentiment, I would not have been surprised if he'd had been ticked off for stating that as it was not very statesman like.

My understanding is that he is a practising Roman Catholic.

To be fair, I was amused by his special place in hell comment, and found his honesty refreshing.
Pete L liked this
By Paultheparaglider
eltonioni wrote:Nope. Innate personal feature that attracts "genuine hurt, pain and suffering". Try being the ginger kid in class.

A little more genuine empathy instead of pointless outrage would make the world a nicer place.

I've tried the above. My very own sister used to love calling me carrot top. Not much ginger left now sadly.

My mum always used to tell me the sticks and stones saying. A lot of sense in that. Being teased a bit probably toughens you up.

However, I think it is a bit different from the treatment received by many in the gay community. I don't recall ever being beaten up for being a ginge.

I agree with the last point completely.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By Miscellaneous
eltonioni wrote:...but have decided that they have some interest in being offended or are trying too hard to be an "ally" to persons unknown and unidentified.

I don't think anyone is taking personal offence, or indeed being offended on others' behalf.
What I object to is the preaching, the telling others they are wrong, not only are they wrong but that they will be punished for not abiding by someone else's doctrine.

Quite frankly it is unacceptable to be spreading such guff in the 21st century. That otherwise level headed and rational forumites' argue it is acceptable because it is in the bible demonstrates their clouded thinking and the dangers of religion.

eltonioni wrote:A little more genuine empathy instead of pointless outrage would make the world a nicer place.

Anyone with such strongly held views that he ignored a warning and cost himself his job is going to wait a long time for empathy from me. His condition may, however, justify some sympathy.
Flyin'Dutch', JoeC liked this
By JoeC
eltonioni wrote: there's suddenly

Nope. I'm 48. As long as I can remember I've held these views and made these points. As have my friends and family. I guess social media now makes it easier to transmit them and hear the views of others.

Not being racist, not being homophobic, not being mysogonistic (and I recognise my own bias- a child of the 70s was surrounded by it and brought up with it)

It’s not virtue signalling. And my 'skin in the game' is that I simply do not want to be surrounded by racist, homophobia misogynists or put up with their language or the creeping acceptance of it. That’s enough for me.

I could leave the 'room', ignore it or - as has been mentioned on this thread - try and argue my point and convince others.

But I won’t accept someone telling me that because they do not care that I shouldn’t.
Flyin'Dutch', AlanC liked this
By kanga
Throughout my working life, from school holiday jobs to retirement, my employers have made it clear that anything I said or did which could attract opprobrium and when a link could be established between them and me might lead to disciplinary action including dismissal. This was true even if the word or deed had been in a private context (but became public) and the link between employer and me was obscure and tenuous (ditto). This was further true in employments which were both private and public sector, and civil or military. I regarded this as entirely reasonable.

Of course, the likelihood of the 'private context' and the 'obscure or tenuous' becoming 'public' is much greater with modern social media. Furthermore, exculpatory context can easily be lost.

I therefore have little sympathy for this lady. I do not doubt her sincerity, but her judgement in making the reported postings seems questionable:

https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/n ... er-2763994
Flyin'Dutch' liked this