Non aviation content. Play nice – No religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By skydriller
HowardC wrote:I wonder if this whole " LEZ / Special Sticker / avoiding particular days " thing can be likened to flying where we plan in advance of a trip to avoid certain bits of airspace and plan a route around it or even plan to fly through an area and get "Clearance" :)

It can. In exactly the same way as you possibly need to plan charging stops for your EV as you would AvGas stops for your aeroplane.

This forum is obviously inhabited by the more tech savvy end of the flying community, which is why EVs have a following on here and why a few of you have found solutions to the LEZ cities issue.

However, your average Tracy, Pierre & Hans probably isnt that way inclined and I humbly suggest that there might well be a little bit of a backlash from the Yellow Jacket end of society. Maybe. But then maybe not, if these folks arent the ones that are driving in/out of cities across Europe. Interesting thought.

Regards, SD..
By AlanC
As much as I generally agree with the concept of cleaner air, and therefore the idea of emissions zones, I did feel mildly smug driving through Central London on Saturday in my 2002 190000 mile car - knowing it was LEZ compliant and would be ULEZ compliant, thanks to being petrol powered and Euro 4, all 275hp of it... Despite media comments linking the various zones to vehicle age rather than emissions. The bike is only congestion charge and LEZ exempt though :cry:
By Paul_Sengupta
My Jaguar is a Euro IV. I guess I'm not going to London any more!

I'm curious about the CO2 figures specified by the manufacturers. My Jaguar S type Diesel 2.7 has a CO2 figure of 208g/km. My father's 3.0 XF has a figure of 169g/km if I remember correctly. However, the fuel consumption is pretty much the same, in fact my father's does slightly less to the gallon on a similar run. How is this? Where do the manufacturers get their figures? Surely CO2 is directly proportional to fuel burnt?
By T67M
The total carbon emitted is directly proportional to the fuel burned, but some of that carbon will be CO, some will be CO2, and some will be other hydrocarbons (HC). The ratio of these will vary depending upon how efficiently the engine is converting fuel to useful work. Naturally the more efficient the engine is, the more of the carbon is emitted as CO2, but the less total carbon is emitted. Heads the HMRC wins, tails the driver loses!
By stevelup
Some amazing figures in that - thanks for posting it.

The Qashqai N-Connecta DCI CVT (1598cc) produces 1.46g of NOx per kilometre. That is more than 18 times Europe's 0.08g/km limit.

Yet because it's classed as 'Euro 6' - it'll be allowed in pretty much any LEZ or ULEZ.

What an utter farce.
johnm, Paul_Sengupta liked this
By johnm
stevelup wrote:Some amazing figures in that - thanks for posting it.

The Qashqai N-Connecta DCI CVT (1598cc) produces 1.46g of NOx per kilometre. That is more than 18 times Europe's 0.08g/km limit.

Yet because it's classed as 'Euro 6' - it'll be allowed in pretty much any LEZ or ULEZ.

What an utter farce.

It seems that both Californians and Europeans need to start thinking a bit more about how effective compliance testing might work and maybe whether the standards set are realistic in the context of the technology.

It's clearly good to develop standards for cleaner air but they have to be better connected to reality it seems, more work to be done and that shouldn't really be a surprise I suppose.
Paul_Sengupta liked this
By OCB
I seem to remember starting a thread about Grenfell.

It’s not a lack of engineering prowess, or common standards - it’s for me quite simply the political class are convinced they can fool all of the people all of the time.

The simple fact that a European level the responsibility for enforcing “clean air” is local, rather than national or European is IMHO “the” classic example of abject (and deliberate) failure of central policy.

It doesn’t take swivel eyed loon with a tinfoil hat to suggest there is no coincidence that LEZ are massively disjointed across Europe, but we had Dieselgate - and next to no reaction from national and European regulators.
By akg1486
Colonel Panic wrote:
HowardC wrote:It looks like https://www.green-zones.eu/en.html is trying to achieve at least a central resource for road users to go to instead of needing multiple sites to register on.

I came across this url in a club magazine today, and it could be a useful resource.

http://urbanaccessregulations.eu

That's really helpful! I checked my own city (Gothenburg) to see what the web site said and it looks good. They cover the environmental zones (lorries/buses only) and the congestion charges. There's one more rule that they miss, though: spiked tires are not allowed on a few streets even in the winter months when they are otherwise allowed. A Scandinavian thing, of course; they are banned year-round in all of Germany and Austria and probably in the rest of continental Europe.