For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By IMCR
One of today's headline - and apparently within the next 25 years in the SE.

The Government encourages more and more homes to be built and yet in the SE I am not aware of a single new reservoir.

Should we be surprised. Should we not make the connection?
Super filtration and / or desalination plants - or, we will sell billions of cubic meters of the stuff out of Scotland via a 20ft diameter pipeline to the south, at considerable cost, of course !
OCB liked this
By skydriller
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
How about canals....can we not move water from north to south using canals?
(I know nothing about the practicalities, but Im sure there is someone on the forum that knows something about this stuff...)

Regards, SD..
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By Tall_Guy_In_a_PA28
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I quick google reveals plans for new reservoirs in Abingdon, Canterbury and Portsmouth. There appears to be significant push-back from Nimbys in each case.

Water companies are allowed price hikes by investment in major capital projects, hence their preference for new reservoirs over repairing the existing leaky infrastructure.
By JoeC
skydriller wrote:How about canals....can we not move water from north to south using canals?
(I know nothing about the practicalities, but Im sure there is someone on the forum that knows something about this stuff...)

Regards, SD..

Even if possible (I've no idea!) there are only a few canals in Scotland and Wales
Hands off our water! Start investing in family planning. :lol:

JoeC wrote:Last summer during the hot weather I had a note from Yorkshire Water that they were diverting water from the East Mids to us and that we shouldn't complain if we noticed a change in taste! I was impressed that this kind of thing was possible. Who knew!

Most of the water in the Derwent complex goes the the East Midlands. An amount equivalent for the run off from the Sheffield moors (ISTR 20% ish) is piped off via a largely unknown 5 mile tunnel from Ladybower to Rivelin. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rivelin_D ... lin_tunnel
JoeC liked this
Bill McCarthy wrote: billions of cubic meters of the stuff out of Scotland via a 20ft diameter pipeline to the south

Believe it or not this was seriously proposed by woolly thinkers in the mid 1970s. They'd obviously never heard of friction head losses. (After 100km or so you'd be lucky to have much more than a damp stain along the invert) To make it work you'd need to build lots more pipelines to take fuel to all the gas-turbine powered en-route pumping stations you'd need !

The Romans were quite adept at using gravity aqueducts, but these served much smaller populations and whose per capita water usage was tiny by our modern standards.

Bill H
By OCB
Bill Haddow wrote:
Bill McCarthy wrote: billions of cubic meters of the stuff out of Scotland via a 20ft diameter pipeline to the south

Believe it or not this was seriously proposed by woolly thinkers in the mid 1970s. They'd obviously never heard of friction head losses. (After 100km or so you'd be lucky to have much more than a damp stain along the invert) To make it work you'd need to build lots more pipelines to take fuel to all the gas-turbine powered en-route pumping stations you'd need !

The Romans were quite adept at using gravity aqueducts, but these served much smaller populations and whose per capita water usage was tiny by our modern standards.

Bill H

ISTR there were (revised?) plans to have wind turbines every few KM to give a bit of oomph. I still have the image of a huge soda-stream in my head, and those daan saf getting sparking Scottish water on tap :lol: