For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By avtur3
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Volvo has announced today that from 2020 all their cars will be limited to a top speed of 180kph (112mph).

The company has a vision that from 2020 no one traveling in an (edit - NEW) Volvo will be killed or seriously injured and this limitation on top speed is seen as one of many factors which will allow them to meet this ambition.

Other areas of concern to Volvo are driver distraction and intoxication, ideas to deal with these will be announced at a safety event on 20th March.

Interesting that this move comes from within the industry and not legislators driven by safety campaigners. Is it a smart move by Volvo to stay ahead of the game?

https://www.media.volvocars.com/global/ ... f-speeding
Last edited by avtur3 on Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Paul_Sengupta
The German manufacturers have been doing this for a long time. Their cars have generally been limited to a speed "which might not be considered excessive." - 155mph (250km/h).

To not kill the sales of the 750, my BMW 740 is limited to 149mph (240km/h)...
By stevelup
The limiter setting on BMWs can be influenced by other things as well such as tyre / wheel / brake choices. So you might have two cars off the same production line with the same engine, but a different top speed.

The other interesting thing is that this limiter setting locks hard once the ECU has done a certain number of miles and the change is irreversible once it has locked down. So there's effectively no way of lifting the limit if the car has anything more than delivery miles on it other than completely replacing the ECU.
By johnm
Sooty25 wrote:bring back Dizzy's and Webers, no limiting them!

In most configurations they’d struggle to reach 112 while drinking gallons of fuel :lol:
By avtur3
johnm wrote:

In most configurations they’d struggle to reach 112 while drinking gallons of fuel :lol:

In the days of playing with carberooters (be they Webers, SU's are whatever) it never ceased to amaze me how much fuel you could use in a short amount of time given that it all had to travel through such apparently small jets ... :lol:
Last edited by avtur3 on Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnm liked this
By Sooty25
avtur3 wrote:
johnm wrote:

In the days of playing with carberooters (be they Webers, SU's are whatever) it never ceased to amaze me how much fuel you could in a short amount of time given that it all had to travel through such apparently small jets ... :lol:

Oddly enough, half of us fly aeroplanes just like that!
By Rob L
I don't blame them. Volvo have previous on vehicle safety, namely:

Seatbelts (patented by them but freely offered to other vehicle manufacturers, and now adopted world-wide)

Running lights (now adopted world-wide including [belatedly] the EU).
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
Rob L wrote:Running lights (now adopted world-wide including [belatedly] the EU).

... and what a PITA they were when first used by Volvo. The world and his dog flashed Volvo drivers for forgetting to turn their side lights off :)

On a side note, I was interested to learn recently that the "third" brake light was a US invention - I had previously laid that one at Volvo's doors too.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By Rob P
My current Jaguar is limited at 155, but by all accounts this can be deprogrammed. I've never really seen the point. It drinks fuel fast enough at legal speeds.

As above, I can't see the antique dealer community being particularly fazed by Volvo's latest "improvement"

Rob P