For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By GrahamB
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I've been a 45-year Quad afficionado, and having just sold all my 33/303 generation stuff to a mate, I'm within a gnat's dangly bit of buying an Artera Solus for my man-cave.

It'll mostly be playing vinyl and CDs, but the ability to Bluetooth from the Mac is also a desirable feature albeit perhaps not with quite the same quality. The Quad uses aptX which is not the usual codec for Apple stuff, but configurable via the Bluetooth Explorer toolkit.

I'm sure it will work (I haven't tested it as I don't have anything else suitable to hand which I could use as a target), but I'd appreciate any opinions on Apple aptX before I commit to the Quad.

I don't want to find that it's flakey, or the quality so poor that it irritates me (streaming will be very much the secondary purpose, but I'd still like it to be reasonable).
By stevelup
Your best solution - assuming it's practical - would be to connect the two devices with a USB cable.

Apple's AptX support is native - it's not a bodge.

Where the tinkering comes in is that Apple stuff always defaults to AAC. If the quad doesn't support AAC, it should hopefully use AptX anyway.
GrahamB liked this
By GrahamB
Thanks @stevelup, the Quad only supports aptX, hence my question. Yes, it needs tinkering, which is all doable from within Bluetooth Explorer. It was really a question of whether there was residual clunkiness. USB would be less than ideal, but is always there as a fallback.