Non aviation content. Play nice – No religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
#1678475
JAFO wrote:As lobstaboy says, it can be scary to admit that the universe is chaotic and that bad stuff just happens. It feels safer to believe that somebody is in control. That accounts for most conspiracy theories.


And probably accounts for all religions as well.

On the vaccination issue, isn’t there an element of selfishness within the “anti” brigade? Do they have an absolute right to put others at risk? I think not.
#1678484
PaulB wrote:Vaccinnation fears are not new. My Mum vaccinated me against everything *except* smallpox in the early 60's.


The last smallpox death in UK, possibly in Europe, was in early 70s. It was the result of an accident with a long forgotten vial of active virus at the back of a fridge in a research laboratory. The victim was a laboratory worker.

As a result, the whole of the UK was in some sort of hazardous status for a while. Because of my nomadic childhood with incomplete immunization records, I had to have a smallpox vaccination or booster in 1973 before West German or British military authorities (it was not clear which) let me travel on duty to UK military facilities there.
#1678490
kanga wrote:
PaulB wrote:Vaccinnation fears are not new. My Mum vaccinated me against everything *except* smallpox in the early 60's.


The last smallpox death in UK, possibly in Europe, was in early 70s. It was the result of an accident with a long forgotten vial of active virus at the back of a fridge in a research laboratory. The victim was a laboratory worker.


Janet Parker, a medical photographer in the anatomy department at the University of Birmingham Medical School, died at Catherine de Barnes Isolation Hospital, near Solihull on 11th September, 1978. She is the last recorded death from Smallpox.
kanga liked this
#1678512
KeithM wrote:
JAFO wrote:As lobstaboy says, it can be scary to admit that the universe is chaotic and that bad stuff just happens. It feels safer to believe that somebody is in control. That accounts for most conspiracy theories.


And probably accounts for all religions as well.

On the vaccination issue, isn’t there an element of selfishness within the “anti” brigade? Do they have an absolute right to put others at risk? I think not.


We don't even allow people to take decisions about their own risk when it comes to driving.

Seatbelts must be worn or there is a fine so in a logical universe protection which also protects others and reduces risk to all might well be mandated...........

Interesting to see that there are quite a few cases in the news lately of teenagers actively seeking vaccination where it was withheld by their parents; the reverse seems to be less common.
KeithM liked this
#1678543
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:
eltonioni wrote:So you are proposing enforced vaccination by locking up parents and confiscating children.

I'm not personally very comfortable with that, but am curious to know if where it is mandatory, whether it gives rise to other conspiracies, or if people just fall in line.


So what is your solution to this issue?

Mandatory Vaccinations in

UK (smallpox until 1948)
Australia
US
France
Switzerland

Didn't have a solution, interested to hear ideas.
#1678611
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:Interesting to see that there are quite a few cases in the news lately of teenagers actively seeking vaccination where it was withheld by their parents; the reverse seems to be less common.


Reverse? Teenagers wanting to be un-vaccinated....? I think I'm a bit confused!
#1678623
Paul_Sengupta wrote:
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:Interesting to see that there are quite a few cases in the news lately of teenagers actively seeking vaccination where it was withheld by their parents; the reverse seems to be less common.


Reverse? Teenagers wanting to be un-vaccinated....? I think I'm a bit confused!


Perhaps he means teenagers inactively seeking vaccinations?

Help us, FD we’re confused! :?
#1678844
johncondor wrote:It occurred to me today that never in the history of the human race has so much information been available to so many people. At the same time, never have so many people so enthusiastically and publicly expressed so many opinions based on ignorance of the facts.


Indeed.... and never has it been easier to check facts, but some people seem to believe anything that's written, even when demonstrated to be false. Sometimes, it has to be said that concepts are difficult and experts are needed to unpick them but some people have also built up an almost absolute distrust of experts.
#1678851
eltonioni wrote:They said that about the printing press.



<stuckrecord> the technology that cannot be abused has yet to be invented </stuckrecord> getting facts requires precision and care in analysing multiple sources.
#1678854
We see regular evidence of messages being disseminated in a very coordinated way across a wide range of media.

Sure some of that was possible with the printing press, but not the direct access to so many people so many tines a day and with the level of personalised micro-targeting that is now possible.
PaulB liked this