For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By riverrock
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
4 way stops are the norm in Johannesburg. I seem to remember traffic flowed better when there was thr common power cuts stopping the "robots" working so junctions reverted to 4 way stops.
Technically its is first to the junction has priority. However when traffic is queued from all directions, someone goes from each direction in turn clockwise. Once you get the rhythm its pretty efficient.
By Paul_Sengupta
riverrock wrote:4 way stops are the norm in Johannesburg. I seem to remember traffic flowed better when there was thr common power cuts stopping the "robots" working so junctions reverted to 4 way stops.

Most junctions in this country flow a lot better if the traffic lights are out, reducing congestion hugely.
By Flintstone
GolfHotel wrote:The BMW has priority.

Unless there is an Audi around

I'll see your Audi and raise you a tractor.

Korenwolf liked this
By Korenwolf
Isn't there somewhere in Holland (can't be 4rsed to Google it) where there are big junctions with no priority markings at all? Something to do with making everyone take more care, a bit like when traffic lights are broken.
By Bert Presley
I remember the 'Scilly Isles' series of roundabouts - somewhere near Esher. Barmy. Probably some newly-graduated road designer on a mission.

But the one that used to do my head in was the 'telephone dial' roundabout(s) in High Wycombe. Don't know if it's still there.
By Flyin'Dutch'
Korenwolf wrote:Isn't there somewhere in Holland (can't be 4rsed to Google it) where there are big junctions with no priority markings at all? Something to do with making everyone take more care, a bit like when traffic lights are broken.

Common in the Netherlands to have to yield to the right.
By chevvron
Bert Presley wrote:I remember the 'Scilly Isles' series of roundabouts - somewhere near Esher. Barmy. Probably some newly-graduated road designer on a mission.

But the one that used to do my head in was the 'telephone dial' roundabout(s) in High Wycombe. Don't know if it's still there.

Hemel Hempstead pre-dated the High Wycombe one by several years and there's another on the Heathrow eastern perimeter road at Hatton Cross
By morticiaskeeper
That confused me on Guernsey the first time. One particular T junction, with poor visibility, always left me crawling on approach, waiting until I was sure it was my turn.

Sent from my neocore_E1R1 using Tapatalk
By chevvron
morticiaskeeper wrote:That confused me on Guernsey the first time. One particular T junction, with poor visibility, always left me crawling on approach, waiting until I was sure it was my turn.

Sent from my neocore_E1R1 using Tapatalk

Surely in the CI the rule is 'filter in turn'.