For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Flintstone
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
For the last couple of summers I've pondered the idea. Canadian types, not kayaks.

A slow flowing river with pubs/B&B at decent intevals. Spend a few days drifting along, hopefully with no mobile phone signal. Anyone done this?
By rikur_
I've always done kayak down rivers, and canadian types across lakes.
I can think of some of the places that we used to go in the UK would be ok for a long day trip, but not really long enough of the right sort of river to do multi-day in a canadian.
By Bill McCarthy
I thought your rivers ran dry in the summer months.
How about the Caledonian Canal - either, manhandle your canoe around the locks or cadge a space in the locks with a transiting yacht. Indeed, I’d scrub round the canoe, bum a lift with whatever is passing through and just drink in the view.
By Miscellaneous
I'd second the Caledonian Canal, all the info required here. Manhandling is mandatory as canoes and kayaks are not permitted in the locks.

I've done it in a kayak and living more or less on the canal for many years have met numerous folks having a holiday of a lifetime.
OCB liked this
By Pete L
Done day trips in France - Dordogne. Company launches you about 4hr upstream of the pickup and hand you a nice sealed container for your lunch. 6hr later they pick you up downstream. Very pleasant. In NZ we've only done sea-or Lake Taupo-kayaking which is also pretty good.
By Miscellaneous
Pete L wrote:In NZ we've only done sea-or Lake Taupo-kayaking which is also pretty good.

And here was me thinking the Caledonian Canal may be a bit too far. :wink:
Pete L liked this
By kanga
Of course, with the right location and aircraft, it can be combined with aviation :)

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=beave ... VU5fqlKY3M:
Last edited by kanga on Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul_Sengupta liked this
By Flintstone
rikur_ wrote:I can think of some of the places that we used to go in the UK would be ok for a long day trip, but not really long enough of the right sort of river to do multi-day in a canadian.

I can paddle very, very slowly.

Bill McCarthy wrote:...bum a lift with whatever is passing through and just drink...

Now you're talking.

I was thinking along the lines of the River Stour which is near-ish to me. Read a couple of reviews from people doing two-day trips in slow time. I like the idea of parking a car at each end and drifting from one to t'other.

This company http://www.riverstourboating.co.uk/ offer guided tours for groups but I'm not terribly keen on mass Stour boating.
Lockhaven, Charles Hunt liked this
By Miscellaneous
Flintstone wrote:... and drifting from one to t'other.

Reminds me of a couple of fellas I came across in a canoe on the CC.

Not outdoor types at all. It appeared to be a spur of the moment decision and impulse buy when shopping for something else. Dressed in denim they had the seats rotated through 90 degrees and were sat on the floor using the seats as backrests. I guess it would be 10.30 -11am and they were making good progress on the slab of beer placed between them as they made best use of the south westerlies having lashed an open umbrella to the bow of the boat. :D
By Rob P
Presumably (thread) drift is acceptable on this post?

If so, just to say I have an inflatable canoe and have huge fun crawling very slowly along the rivers and drains of East Anglia. The benefit being it just deflates and gets flung in the boot at the end of the day.

Rob P
JAFO liked this
By Flintstone
Rob P wrote:Presumably (thread) drift is acceptable on this post?

If so, just to say I have an inflatable canoe and have huge fun crawling very slowly along the rivers and drains of East Anglia. The benefit being it just deflates and gets flung in the boot at the end of the day.

Rob P

That’s disturbingly close to staying ON thread so stop it immediately.

I’ve considered buying a canoe and giving it a try, I’ve some idea in my head of camping out on summer evenings away from the hustle and bustle. Even secondhand fibreglass ones are £400+ though, maybe I should hire first. After all, we know the 3 F’s rule.
By malcolmfrost
Flintstone wrote:For the last couple of summers I've pondered the idea. Canadian types, not kayaks.

A slow flowing river with pubs/B&B at decent intevals. Spend a few days drifting along, hopefully with no mobile phone signal. Anyone done this?

Have you thought about canals?