For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By rikur_
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
avtur3 wrote:The offence was 41mph in a 30 limit, hardly a flogging offence, why on earth put everything at risk for such a trivial (in the scheme of things) offence. Something doesn't add up.

Possible thread drift....
In my old day job we used to get very similar. Get caught without a train ticket, and say that you forgot to buy one, you'd get a modest penalty fare and sent on your way. Try to manipulate the system by buying a ticket for one or two stops of your journey, but not the whole journey, get prosecuted for fraud and get a criminal record. Plenty of respectable professionals taken through the process, many absolutely horrified to discover they'd be getting a criminal record.

There's an interesting observation: most people would regard shoplifting as theft and wrong; but stealing a train journey is regarded as 'exploiting a loop hole' . I wonder if there was a similar mindset in play here - the 'loophole where you claim someone else was driving'.
gasman wrote:
PaulB wrote:Could th Recall of MPs Act be used here?

l

The MP is appealing her sentence.
Until the appeal is heard the process of initiating the Recall of an MP cannot be initiated (and she can continue to draw her salary).

Item just on the radio - somebody else is appealing that her sentence wasn't long enough.
Yes - not least on evidence of inadequate intellect.

Pretty much all of us have heard or read of stories about people being emprisoned for this very specific offence. If I know how stupid it is, from my perspective as an average adult who plays with aeroplanes for a living, I would expect a lawyer turned lawmaker to be utterly conversant.

Doing something so stupid makes her an unfit person to be making our laws. The utter dishonesty of it makes her, frankly not somebody who should be of the "officer class" of our national leadership. Honour does matter to many of us still.

Even her own (former) party do seem to broadly agree with this position!

G
By nallen
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
rikur_ wrote:There's an interesting observation: most people would regard shoplifting as theft and wrong; but stealing a train journey is regarded as 'exploiting a loop hole' . I wonder if there was a similar mindset in play here - the 'loophole where you claim someone else was driving'.

It's possible - but she is a lawyer and you'd like to think that "perverting the course of justice" had cropped up in her training. (Also, the entirely analogous Chris Huhne/Vicky Price case was fairly high-profile had you been sleeping through the pertinent lectures.)

[crossed with GtE...]