For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By eltonioni
If Blue Monday is getting you down, this will either cheer you up or depress you a bit more.

By lobstaboy
Very funny!
But what was depressing wasn't that they hadn't much of a clue how it worked, but how dreadful their problem solving skills were - basically they just mucked about with it.
Of course you can do that with a computer game - if you muck about with it you get some sort of feedback whatever you do, but good old fashioned steam driven stuff isn't like that.
So basically were all doomed...
By stevelup
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
They had absolutely no feedback though, so it would have been pretty difficult to undertake methodical troubleshooting.

If something was reading back the dialled numbers to them, they would have quickly figured it out.
By Bill McCarthy
A sound powered telephone is simpler, but I doubt that they could crack that either.
By PeteSpencer
stevelup wrote:They had absolutely no feedback though, so it would have been pretty difficult to undertake methodical troubleshooting.

If something was reading back the dialled numbers to them, they would have quickly figured it out.

Maybe if they'd held the handset to their ears they'd have heard/counted the pulsed clicks.

(used to get free phone calls from the old Button A & B phone boxes as a kid by rapidly tapping the handset rest the requisite number of times)
I guess that dates me. :roll:

Peter
By flybymike
I used to do the same thing from the local phone box. Quite frequently we would get through to the GPO engineer who would threaten to send the rozzers round to lock us all up.
By PaulB
PeteSpencer wrote:(used to get free phone calls from the old Button A & B phone boxes as a kid by rapidly tapping the handset rest the requisite number of times)
I guess that dates me. :roll:

How many teenagers could you get into a GPO phone box to listen to "dial-a-disc" in that way?

Quite a few, it turns out!
By Flying_john
Tap Tap tap,

You could dial the number using that method too - but numbers using lots of ones and twos were easier !
By PaulB
Flying_john wrote:Tap Tap tap,

You could dial the number using that method too - but numbers using lots of ones and twos were easier !

Dial-a-disc (it seemed so modern at the time) was 16 and dialled using the tap-tap method - not by me of course... it was naughty!!
By Flying_john
There was another number I remember that you could tap in and, one minute later, the phone would ringback. Be surprised how many passers by would go in and answer it ! :mrgreen:
By PaulB
Oh, gosh... I used to do that to my Mum and then one day the GPO engineer rang up as asked her to stop doing it!!