For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By VRB_20kt
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
The country is likely to have an overnight temperature of less than 0C. Apparently this means that water might freeze and therefore there may be some ice. Ice is a bit slippery (who'd have guessed?) so the met office have issued a yellow warning!

What has our once-so-capable country come to? Whatever happened to keep calm and carry on? Are we really such a bunch of inept numpties?

Sent from my K6000 Pro using Tapatalk
By johnm
Are we really such a bunch of inept numpties?
Yup, and if we suffer loss or injury as a result of being inept we'll look for somebody to sue :(
By Jim Jones
Last months warning of freezing rain was useful. It meant I took great care when stepping out, still slipped but had hold of a rail. I cancelled the remainder of the journey.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By rikur_
johnm wrote:injury as a result of being inept we'll look for somebody to sue :(

Although even on that topic we seem to have a population of numpties who don't know who what is a valid basis upon which to sue someone.

As a Parish Council we provide and fill grit bins. Historically, people were capable of transferring grit in sensible quantities from the grit bin to problematic areas without instruction, using rudimentary tools such as an empty plastic plant pot. Nowadays, we seem to have more people who will just rant on Facebook about how they'll sue the Parish Council for not spreading the grit for them - or spreading stories about how they couldn't possibly do it themselves, as they might be sued if they spread grit and then someone slips on it.

(As an aside, our Parish Council public liability insurance actually covers public spirited residents in such circumstances)

Last year we had a mini 'please don't spread grit on the pavements' campaign launched by a group of residents, as apparently it poisons hedgehogs and irritates dogs paws.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By johnm
We have a snow warden in our Parish who leads the grit spreading when needed :-)
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By Miscellaneous
Jim Jones wrote:I cancelled the remainder of the journey.

Are there snowflakes in your house by chance, Jim? You wouldn't have done that 25yrs ago! You would just have got on with it… and been fine. :wink: :D
Nick liked this
By Jim Jones
Miscellaneous wrote:
Jim Jones wrote:I cancelled the remainder of the journey.

Are there snowflakes in your house by chance, Jim? You wouldn't have done that 25yrs ago! You would just have got on with it… and been fine. :wink: :D

I agree I’d have started the journey......

It was invisible, no grip with hiking boots and driving would have been foolish for the hour or so it lasted. At my age a slip can have poorer outcomes than 25 years ago, but I did break a leg in the winter of 1963 on my way to the bus.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By Miscellaneous
Jim Jones wrote:At my age a slip can have poorer outcomes than 25 years ago...

Ain't that the truth, I also think it's easier to remain upright when younger. :D

I'm nursing a sore ankle this morning after ending up on my **** yesterday. :roll:

Only a couple of weeks since I last fell, landed on my back and cracked my skull last time, so no adverse lasting effects. :lol:
By johnm
flybymike wrote:
it poisons hedgehogs and irritates dogs paws.

Hedgehogs are partial to a bit of grit.

Maybe but what we call "grit" is actually rock salt mixed with molasses to bind it to the road.
By Miscellaneous
johnm wrote:Maybe but what we call "grit" is actually rock salt mixed with molasses to bind it to the road.

Whatever, John, and goodwill to all animals, however where are we going with the let's put humans at risk to mitigate risk for hedgehogs and dogs? :D
johnm liked this
By rikur_
I still haven't worked out if the pro-hedgehog lobby are real hedgehog lovers, or if it's just a good excuse to go trolling.
Pretty much anything we do as a community they appear on facebook to object to ....
- gritting roads, poisoning them
- sweeping up autumn leaves, destroying valuable habitat
- collecting conkers, steeling their food
- improved street lighting, making them more vulnerable to attack
- bonfire night, cremating them
johnm, Lockhaven liked this
By johnm
You missed out slug pellets poisoning their food :-)
rikur_ liked this