For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By JoeC
cotterpot wrote:
Forgetful or arrogance?

Well if you forget something as basic as putting on your seatbelt maybe one shouldn't be driving.

I've known a number of blokes (always blokes) who don't put their seatbelt on until after they've set off then fumble with pulling it around and plugging it in when driving. Always assumed it was some sort of macho minor rebelliousness despite being an utterly stupid thing to do.
By Bill McCarthy
I suppose the claims direct crowd will be clamouring to cash in on the accident !
By Miscellaneous
VRB_20kt wrote:...and some folk have personal protection officers.

The need for which, of course, is a sad reflection on the mentality of certain members of our society. And not a reflection on the individual.

JoeC wrote:Well if you forget something as basic as putting on your seatbelt maybe one shouldn't be driving.

:lol: That'll be the congestion problem resolved country wide then. :roll:
By skydriller
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
This whole seatbelt thing does seem a little odd when you consider that there would be at least one person with the Duke if he was in public (as opposed to a private road on the Sandringham estate) whose entire job is devoted to his personal safety... :?
By flybymike
JoeC wrote:
flybymike wrote:Some people think the state have no right to nanny folk into looking after themselves.

Yes, I often here of them waving away the state firemen, ambulance crews and police after they've had an accident.

I suppose anyone who makes an alternative conscious decision to place themselves at risk, by say, rock climbing, hang gliding, paragliding, bungee jumping, sky diving, wing suiting, or even climbing out of a crashed light aircraft should also make the same decision to wave away the emergency services.
By Cessna57
So how did he not get the £100 spot fine?

First reported instance I can remember of the Royal family actually being above the law.

My brother in law is the sort of idiot who doesn’t wear a seatbelt. I wonder if the police would let him off if they catch him?

I think I’ve just become a tiny bit anti monarchist over this one incident. Especially after reading he didn’t even say sorry.

So the lady he hit is without a car, while he has his nice new Range Rover 2 days later. I’d be livid if I lost my car in this accident, they didn’t even say sorry and then I had to fight for insurance while they just pick up their new Range Rover. They could at least hire her a car.

As I say, my estimation of the Royal Family has just gone downwards.

Wonder if William or Harry would say “sorry”, I think they would.
JAFO liked this
By Miscellaneous
Cessna57 wrote:So the lady he hit is without a car, while he has his nice new Range Rover 2 days later.

Your point is? Is that not the likely scenario in many an accident?
Of course she has the payment for her story from the Sunday press to compensate.

Cessna57 wrote:...they didn’t even say sorry...

So you've chosen to believe the stories that say he hasn't rather than those that claim he phoned them?

TBH I wouldn't be surprised if he was advised not to have personal contact, especially if there was reasonable suspicion she would be going to the press. :D

Cessna57 wrote:...and then I had to fight for insurance...

How do you know she has to fight with her insurance? Was she not insured properly?

Or are you just using inflammatory language for effect? :wink:

Cessna57 wrote:They could at least hire her a car.

Why, would you hire someone a car?

Do you know her insurance does not cover a hire car? Maybe the Palace has offered to help, however given there seems to be a police investigation I'd suggest caution one's actions couldn't be seen as admitting guilt may be advisable?

Cessna57 wrote:As I say, my estimation of the Royal Family has just gone downwards.

From your post I get the impression it wasn't very high previously. :D

In fact seems to me you are differentiating in your expectations entirely due to his position.
By Flyin'Dutch'
in other news: Arrogant Royal git behaves as ..............arrogant Royal git.

Any no-fault accident is to the receiving party a total pain in the neck as you end up having to do a lot of running around, organising etc and you normally end up out of pocket as well as the inconvenience;L on top of that she has an injury which will with a bit of luck be a major issue for the next 4-6 weeks and after that may leave her with some lasting damage/pain.

So I think most of us would be cheesed off with something like that.

Add to this the fact that it was HRH was behind the wheel so it will attract the attention of the 'press' which will do nothing to put things in perspective and am sure that the flames of naffedoffedness will no doubt have been fanned by them and the lack of an apology.

How do I know he would not have had the courtesy of offering an apology - simple - I did not win the lottery last night.

In the good old days it was that 'noblesse oblige'
Pete L, JAFO liked this
By skydriller
Cessna57 wrote:So how did he not get the £100 spot fine?

First reported instance I can remember of the Royal family actually being above the law.

My brother in law is the sort of idiot who doesn’t wear a seatbelt. I wonder if the police would let him off if they catch him?.

The key bit here is if the POLICE catch him. I was under the impression some "publicity spirited person" had reported this to the police?

I am sure that the other driver will do very nicely out of the accident.

Regards, SD..

Edit to add: It appears auto spell likes the word "publicity" when I tried to write "publicly".... But actually I think it sums up the situation better after all :lol: :lol:
flybymike liked this