Non aviation content. Play nice – No religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
Bert Presley wrote:There is, apparently, a Japanese verb which means: 'to try out your new sword on a chance passing wayfarer'.

This verb is so incredibly precise: Not any old sword - it has to be your new sword. Not any old wayfarer, but some poor sod who just happens along by chance.

I nominate this verb (whatever it is) as the most untranslateable word ever :D

Apparently the only time a Japanese person might hear the word "tsujigiri" is in a "Samurai Drama" (which is, admittedly, a large percentage of Japanese TV). Nobody says it.
Bert Presley liked this
GrahamB wrote:Duende in the Flamenco sense.

What's the meaning in the Flamenco sense? (I know what it means in Portuguese (sprite/elf/pixie) and I guess it's the same in Spanish.)
I don't know if there's an English word corresponding to the Swedish "buksvåger". Literally "belly brother-in-law", it's a term for the relationship between two men who've, at different times, had sex with the same woman.

Needless to say, you would look for it in vain in a dictionary. :D
Bert Presley liked this
akg1486 wrote:I don't know if there's an English word corresponding to the Swedish "buksvåger". Literally "belly brother-in-law", it's a term for the relationship between two men who've, at different times, had sex with the same woman.

Needless to say, you would look for it in vain in a dictionary. :D

I don't speak Swedish but, given your English translation, I can now see how that Swedish word came about :shock:
akg1486 wrote:Literally "belly brother-in-law", it's a term for the relationship between two men who've, at different times, had sex with the same woman.

Imagine being at a party...

Some fat bloke in a Hawaiian shirt decides to talk to you.

But that doesn't stop him chewing on a barbecued chicken leg. Then he wipes his fingers across his chinos before extending a hand in friendship:

'Hi. I'm Ricky. I hear we're belly brothers-in-law...'

Eugh.
Bert Presley wrote:
PeteSpencer wrote:Huh?

She's English. :roll:

She is? Really? English? Cripes. Just goes to show that one shouldn't assume.

But an interesting philosophical question arises: Would she be equally as beautiful if she was named Waynetta Wibley?

I have no idea, but after seeing this Sacramento TV interview she did strike me as being quite witty!

Probably not the best start when they introduced her as "Carla".