For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
There are hundreds of words in common usage in the English language which have their origins in our maritime past.
It is strange that aircraft had adopted naval terminology - port/starboard, rudder , cockpitetc, but when it came to nominating engine positions, say, it seems that naval numbering systems were too complex. For instance, on a four engined aircraft the stard’b engines would be No.1 ( inner) and No.3 (outer) with No2. Port inner and so on. But trying to establish which compartment you were in on a large ship had most scratching their heads - until one got used to it.
There is, apparently, a Japanese verb which means: 'to try out your new sword on a chance passing wayfarer'.

This verb is so incredibly precise: Not any old sword - it has to be your new sword. Not any old wayfarer, but some poor sod who just happens along by chance.

I nominate this verb (whatever it is) as the most untranslateable word ever :D
Bill McCarthy wrote:There are hundreds of words in common usage in the English language which have their origins in our maritime past.
It is strange that aircraft had adopted naval terminology - port/starboard, rudder , cockpitetc, but when it came to nominating engine positions, say, it seems that naval numbering systems were too complex. For instance, on a four engined aircraft the stard’b engines would be No.1 ( inner) and No.3 (outer) with No2. Port inner and so on. But trying to establish which compartment you were in on a large ship had most scratching their heads - until one got used to it.

And we should also thank the French for fuselage, empennage, aileron, and of course...hangAr :wink:
kanga liked this
Bert Presley wrote:Thank you JoeC. Muchly obliged.

But how do you say it? I'm thinking I might try to drop it into casual conversation down the pub, or something.

Hopefully, it will be accepted as a real word. But if not...

HAAAAAAH!

Aha... I will make enquiries.
Bert Presley liked this