Non aviation content. Play nice – No religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
Lot of talk on here about it depending on the intent of the user. I prefer to think it depends on the intent of the designer.
AK 47 - a weapon because it was designed to kill people, though it could be used otherwise
12 bore shotgun - not a weapon, though it could be used to kill people
2lb hammer - not a weapon, though it could be used to kill people
Vickers Supermarket Spitfire - a weapon, though it could be used otherwise
Etc
Etc

One of the things that makes the human animal so dangerous is that it can use pretty much anything to kill. Most animals just have their teeth, or don't bother.
Chris Martyr wrote:The thing that decides what is or is not a weapon , most definitely IS the user .

Nonsense, that’s to say there’s no such thing as a weapon until an item is used as such?

Weapons are designed and manufactured as such.

Other items are designed and manufactured for other purposes but may be used as a weapon.

A knife used as a screwdriver is still a knife, it doesn’t become a screwdriver. A rock used to hammer in a tent peg is still a rock....

A cruise missile on the other hand...
Miscellaneous wrote:
Weapons are designed and manufactured as such.

Other items are designed and manufactured for other purposes but may be used as a weapon.

I don't disagree, Misc, but if we take as a working definition of a weapon something which is primarily designed to harm / injure / kill a living creature, then we would need to regard fishing rods and reels, butterfly nets, mousetraps, fly sprays, and so on as weapons.

Bill H
I think everyone this side of the pond is terrified of being labelled a “gun nut”, especially considering how viciously the British Meedja will go after folks.

Dunno the exact stats, but aren’t (military) airshows one of the most popular outdoor activities or summit?

All those millions of people in adulation of weapons systems.... :roll:
skydriller liked this
...sneakily getting back to guns...anyone here shoot PCP airguns?

They are unrestricted here, meaning I could if I wanted get a .50 cal pneumatic. Before anyone laughs, check the YouTube vids.

More interested in a PCP bull pup that I can adjust power from 25m .22 target to 100m plus 7.62. I am a bit stuck on the FX range, wondered if anyone else shot PCP?