For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Genghis the Engineer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I think that Steve's on the right page TBH...

http://www.federationoffishfriers.co.uk ... fo-605.htm

Under 1100cal for fish, chips and mushy peas.

By comparison standard McD interesting burger and small chips is about the same, and many options will take you to much bigger numbers.

https://www.mcdonalds.com/us/en-us/abou ... lator.html

And one small takeaway pizza is more than either...

https://m.nutritionix.com/pizza-hut/menu/premium/

With a lot less satisfaction - personally I'm not sure I need to eat anything else the rest of the day after fish and chips for lunch, - not true of the other options.

G
By Flyin'Dutch'
Fat gives a much higher level of satiety than the same amount of calories from carbohydrates.

There is a reason the food industry has been quite happy to go with the mantra that sugar is good and fat is bad as has broadcast for the last 50 or so years by the various 'experts'

Eat a Mars bar of 75 grams and you are hungry again after an hour, eat the same amount of cheese and you will last a lot longer.
johnm liked this
cockney steve wrote: Fish and chips is pure, natural and nutritious and, properly-cooked, has the lowest fat-content of any takeaway food!.

630 calories in the KFC twister wrap, and 34 grams of fat (One menu item picked at random, there are plenty more)

802 calories in Nando's Flame Grilled Chicken Breast and chips 47 grams of fat

1,000 calories in a 6 oz. portion of fish with 10oz. chips and 52 grams of fat.

I couldn't give a damn if Steve was a member of the Boys Brigade - he's still talking bollox

Rob P
By Paul_Sengupta
And all the sites say to take the batter off and just eat the fish.

I don't like fish, but if I did, the batter would be the best bit!

One doesn't buy a sausage in batter to remove the batter!

Or a Mars bar.

There's some good news in Fast Food. KFC chips were always awful, and they were known for it...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-46111885
RobP . It's all down to moderation mate . :D

Whatever your dietary leanings happen to be . I occasionally take my grandsons to McD's , only as a treat though .
I certainly wouldn't frequent any of these places on a regular basis as I have this hobby which necessitates a certain level of fitness /weight control.. :wink:

But I would gladly never look at another fast-food franchise again .....Except one . The local chippy ! And I'm with Cockney Steve on this . Y' can't beat a good old portion of cod n chips every once in a while .

Especially when drenched in a load of vinegar... :D :D
No Misc. I don't "teach" them that it's a treat .......... :pale: But they think it is .. :D

Hopefully , they will start to develop slightly more discerning palates before too long , like taking their old Granddad down to Brighton for a nice plate of cockles or whelks on the seafront .

One day.... :D
Miscellaneous wrote:
Chris Martyr wrote:Whatever your dietary leanings happen to be . I occasionally take my grandsons to McD's , only as a treat though .

Really, you teach your grandsons that McD's is a treat? :wink:

Oh dear! :shock:

Don’t worry, it’ll give them positive memories of the time food was plentiful, cheap, and someone else grew it for you....
Flyin'Dutch', kanga liked this
By cockney steve
To give MuChdoshe's Marketers their due.....I witnessed this American invasion, when England's food chains were predominantly Wimpey , Golden Egg, , Little Chef.... Along came Ronald Macdonald and seduced the kiddies and subverted sensibility. Their Kiddie's boxes were a master-stroke, with which the independents and smaller franchise-sectors could not compete. To be competitive, mine, with chicken-nuggets / a standard sausage / fish goujons and a small drink, sold at a break-even price. The toy/enclosure was not as elaborate as the M D's offering. They bought their market-share. My kids, all in their late 30's, never give a second thought to their patronage these establishments. I am pleased to report I have only once, ever done so, for my late partner's grandkids -the "food" was secondary, the toy was their driving interest! I also once took an alcoholic to a drive-in at her insistence...she paid over a fiver for 2 small brown -paper bags , each containing a burger and some other stuff and she had a large container of drink. I made my feelings known to her and explained the economics of actually buying food, as opposed to funding Corporate profits and branding. .
@Rob P Yes, I should have said "any HOT takeaway" and also noted that many chains, under the onslaught of Government Propaganda (which is muted by the desire to keep employees off the dole- queue, rake in their tax and NI , collect business rates, plus the secondary taxation and revenue on gas, electricity and other services-and VAT )....have upped their game and now offer low fat/sugar/salt/ other bogey of the moment .....alternatives to their core business.
Sooty25 liked this
Rob P wrote:
cockney steve wrote: Fish and chips is pure, natural and nutritious and, properly-cooked, has the lowest fat-content of any takeaway food!.

630 calories in the KFC twister wrap, and 34 grams of fat (One menu item picked at random, there are plenty more)

802 calories in Nando's Flame Grilled Chicken Breast and chips 47 grams of fat

1,000 calories in a 6 oz. portion of fish with 10oz. chips and 52 grams of fat.

I couldn't give a damn if Steve was a member of the Boys Brigade - he's still talking bollox

Rob P

Do we need to consider the total volume of food here though?

The fish and chips weigh in at 16oz total, I bet the wrap is probably half that if you are lucky. Need to compare on equal portion sizes really.

Are the burgers still good at Jimmy's? I'm just about ready for one!
Nothing in the post mentioned anything about equal weights.

The burgers at what is now called Jimmy's aren't anything I've ever sampled. They look such sad little things compared to the Mustang Burger of old.

Rob P