Non aviation content. Play nice – No religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.

Moderator: Flyin'Dutch'

By chevvron
Until about 4 years ago, there were 2 BKs in Woking; the one embedded deep in the shopping centre closed then and about a year ago, the second more accessible one closed too leaving the town with none.
So I went to Camberley to do some shopping thinking I'd grab a BK there.
Nope; their one has gone too with a notice on the window saying the next nearest are Farnborough and Bracknell.
Yeah I know there's McDonalds in both towns but I find their burgers tasteless compared to BK.
So what's happening? Closing down but not moving elsewhere in the town seems to me like they've got money problems.
They're a franchised network - so not sure we'll see an overnight 'going bust' of the whole chain as such, albeit I believe one of the sub-franchisees with ~ 40 stores went bust in 2017 (don't know if that's related to your local closures). The master UK franchisee was acquired by Bridgepoint in early 2018, with a promise of new stores and better incentives for sub-franchisees to invest in the network at the time.
As I understand it, the 'lower end' takeaways have been struggling - partially squeezed by a difficulty recruiting/retaining staff, and partially as coffee shops present a more lucrative opportunity for franchisees in many locations.
Not all bad news then . :thumright:

Just need to get rid of KFC and 'Mackie Ds' ...[ and a few others ] . :thumright: :thumright:

If all the fat people have nowhere to refuel , then perhaps there is hope that we'll get back to being a nation of people with normal blood pressure , normal sugar-levels , less strokes , less heart attacks and all these other 'strange maladies' that have crept in over the last few generations.

I will leave it to the medical professionals on here to expand upon the further advantages of this good news .
Nick, cockney steve, Bobcro liked this
By JoeC
Chris Martyr wrote:Not all bad news then . :thumright:

Just need to get rid of KFC and 'Mackie Ds' ...[ and a few others ] . :thumright: :thumright:

If all the fat people have nowhere to refuel , then perhaps there is hope that we'll get back to being a nation of people with normal blood pressure , normal sugar-levels , less strokes , less heart attacks and all these other 'strange maladies' that have crept in over the last few generations.

I will leave it to the medical professionals on here to expand upon the further advantages of this good news .

The bigger problem might be that supermarket food is becoming more and more processed. The pre-made meal (even vegetables!) aisles have quadrupled in size over the last few years. So even those not frequenting fast food chains are buying highly processed fast food in supermarkets.
Chris Martyr wrote:Not all bad news then . :thumright:

I vaguely recall a which report from a couple of years ago found that found that a cheese burger and fries was healthier than most popular posh sandwiches, or a jacket potato with 2 tons of mayo on it. Whilst there are healthier options than both - I think there's a certain stereotype of 'if it looks posh, it's healthier', and Mc'Ds was far from the top of the league table of unhealthy lunches.
I had an 18 calorie salad, a zero calorie and zero sugar drink and a 389 calorie 9 chicken nuggets at McDonalds yesterday for lunch.
The blandest petrol station/takeaway sandwiches boast of being under 400 calories, a tasty one closer to 550.
I don’t think McDonalds is as unhealthy as it’s portrayed.
Being a diabetic and over 50, I have regular blood tests. This type of eating doesn’t seem to be detrimental to a wide panel of indicators tested and it seems to provide a reasonable balance of veg, protein, carb and almost no sugar at all.
seanxair liked this
Am i the only person on here that does not care one iota about calories, sugar, fat, salt etc? I cant say i even try to eat a balanced diet, but by happenchance i reckon i probably do have a roughly balanced diet purely because i dont fancy eating the same thing every single day and i like my food to taste of something...

As far as Mcdonalds goes...why get a uniform burger there when you can get a so much better tasting one (with real chips) at many other establishments without the screaming kids...???

Regards, SD..
Bill McCarthy wrote:Johns - you’ll be telling us next that you haven’t been in a supermarket either.

A what?

JohnM

:D
Colonel Panic liked this
JoeC wrote:The bigger problem might be that supermarket food is becoming more and more processed. The pre-made meal (even vegetables!) aisles have quadrupled in size over the last few years. So even those not frequenting fast food chains are buying highly processed fast food in supermarkets.

I have recently started to take an interest in salt content and nearly everything that is pre-prepared or ready to eat is jam packed with salt, even cakes, biscuits, jam and bread. :shock: