Non aviation content. Play nice – No religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
Just got shiny new laptop. It runs Windows 10 which I understand has antivirus as standard. I have an existing McAfee sub, but do I need it now?I am aware it slowed down my old PC and Laptop quite a bit.

I want to transfer files from my old PC, but would like to eliminate duplicates while I am at it. What is the best way?

Thanks in advance
The built-in protection is pretty good. You certainly don't want to install any bloated third party stuff.

If you really want a decent anti-virus that doesn't clutter up your machine with carp and slow it down, ESET NOD32 is the best one. But you'll be fine without it.

With regard to your second question, I really can't think of an automated way of doing this. Why would you have enough duplicates for it to be a problem in the first place?

Best bet would be to 'search' for all your files in explorer - this will show you every single file on your machine in one window. You can then sort by name and size and any dupes should be obvious.

Delete the dupes, then copy it all over. Or copy it over skipping the dupes. The latter, perhaps safer, but more of a pain to do.
Thanks Steve, I’m reassured and will cancel McAfee.
Using explorer looks the thing to do. Duplicates are a mystery to me too, somehow I’ve nested folders with the same name inside other folders, with similar content, but always blamed Windows,,
I’ve meant to sort it out but kept kicking it down the road. Must do it this time. I’ve got cloud backing up everything if I need to reverse what I’ve done.
I hate W10 as my first experience of it was trying to use a club laptop to give a radio course. It hadn't been switched on for a while which means it decides what it wants to do is far more important than letting you do what you want. I had a radio course for about 10 people due to start 18:30, the W10 laptop was switched on 17:50, and 18:15 I decided to retrieve and use my own XP laptop from car. 18:30 I started course with XP, noticed W10 finally booted up enough to let someone use it at 19:10. Switched it off.
Irv Lee wrote:I hate W10 as my first experience of it was trying to use a club laptop to give a radio course. It hadn't been switched on for a while which means it decides what it wants to do is far more important than letting you do what you want. I had a radio course for about 10 people due to start 18:30, the W10 laptop was switched on 17:50, and 18:15 I decided to retrieve and use my own XP laptop from car. 18:30 I started course with XP, noticed W10 finally booted up enough to let someone use it at 19:10. Switched it off.

If you think thats bad, god help you should you ever decide to use a fruit that hasnt been used for a while... :roll:

However, W10 actually asks whether you want to update first (did you miss that, or auto click OK - as my partner invariably does without reading the question)...Fruits dont even ask, they just do...
Ubuntu Linux is robust, reliable, inherently hacker-resistant and has dozens of plug-ins available which seem to seamlessly self-install, work faultlessly and have compatibility with microshaft.

Some prefer Linux Mint...the ethos is the same......free, and a world-wide community of computer-geeks who take pride in eliminating bugs and developing better stuff....all for free to the end-user!

Why on earth would I pay a premium to Mr Gates or the numerous software-houses riding his coat-tails, when I can have a superior product which can be set to notify updates and fixes daily and one button-click does it!

(they'll send you a disc that you can boot from, if you don't want an install, or you can download and urn your own disc. I don't know a lot about computers and I don't need to!

I commend it to anybody who just wants a fast, efficient operating system devoid of bloatware and tied-in monopoly systems. :mrgreen:
skydriller wrote:If you think thats bad, god help you should you ever decide to use a fruit that hasnt been used for a while... :roll:

I have never, ever known an Apple device not just power on and work, no matter how long it's been sitting around, and the updates are completely non-invasive unlike Windows.

Not sure to what you are referring....

Irv Lee wrote:@skydriller I didn't do anything except switch on.

What happened was that the last person who used it shut it down whilst some Windows updates were being installed.

Most updates take place in two phases - part of it happens at shutdown (files moved into place, bits prepped), but the bulk of it happens at the next startup. You got lumbered with the (often much longer) second phase.
johnm, PaulB liked this
stevelup wrote:
skydriller wrote:If you think thats bad, god help you should you ever decide to use a fruit that hasnt been used for a while... :roll:

I have never, ever known an Apple device not just power on and work, no matter how long it's been sitting around, and the updates are completely non-invasive unlike Windows.

Not sure to what you are referring....

There are enough threads on here where people have said "I think it updated and now "xxxx" doesnt work..." My partner has a fruit phone, and Im pretty sure she has never been asked about any update - it just does it. This is a good thing when everything works. She does complain about it not "just working" sometimes though - Usually this involves an Email or message or text not turning up for an extended period of time or not being able to access or start something when she picks it up. Wait an hour or 12 and then its OK. Strange but true.

I agree 100% that in Irvs case, probably someone previously agreed to an update before shutting down the device.

Regards, SD..
skydriller wrote:My partner has a fruit phone, and Im pretty sure she has never been asked about any update - it just does it. This is a good thing when everything works.

Anyone that leaves ‘Settings>General>Automatic Updates’ (or its Windows equivalents) toggled ‘On’ deserves all they get!
PaulB liked this
Jim Jones wrote:..... but would like to eliminate duplicates while I am at it. What is the best way?

I don't know if it's the best way, as I have nothing else to compare it to....
Try CC cleaner - in the tools menu there is a 'Duplicate finder' - https://www.ccleaner.com/
Coincidentally I spent boxing day sorting out duplicates on my dad's laptop where my 3 year old nephew had been 'playing with the mouse' and hidden folders inside folders, which then became duplicates when my dad restored what he thought had been deleted......
+1 for CCleaner which is free and effective. Also, run its registry cleaner frequently to keep your boot times manageable

Malwarebytes is free and an occasional scan with that will keep Windoze from being overrun with slothful adware.

Ideally, install Linux as a dual boot and only run W10 when running Skydemon (or other nav software)

Sent from my K6000 Pro using Tapatalk
cockney steve liked this